Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

721 - 739 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
Always like that Speed Triple. I rode the next gen one, the one before the truncated tail. T595 I think? Maybe T955. I'm not sure exactly. I just remember the one I rode was a lime green color and was equipped with the factory installed sport exhaust. I test rode a pink one right after that had more go fast goodies on it.

All I can say is, I was gobsmacked at how much torque those things made. It was all I could do to not wheelie the things in the first 3 gears. It was less difficult to manage in 4th but it didn't take much the get the front end off the asphalt either. Not that I'm a wheelie kinda rider but it just was too easy.

No slouch in the handling department either. It was a willing partner in attacking corners. Suspension is stellar and one could ride the front hard into the corner and have it stick while carrying serious corner speed.

You just didn't wanna get full on the gas until up right on exit though. Front wheel would be clawing skyward. Brakes were stellar too. We were warned before the ride to not go and wheelie and stoppie or we'd be taken off the ride.

First corner, the guy in front of me parks it and then takes his time through it. I got in, like I always do and had to hammer the brakes to keep from ass ending him. Rear end came right up. I got a warning from the sweep rider.

As soon as we stopped I explained to him, it wasn't my intention to do a stoppie but the rider parking in the corner left me no option. He understood and allowed me to take the second test ride. Where in, I started off behind the lead rider and let him go a bit before hammering on the throttle.

All I gotta say is, any of the early Speed Triples sound good to me. l'd love to have one in my garage.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #722

1991 907ie Paso. Posted this model before as my BOD and it never fails to rub my nostalgic side a good bit when I see one. This is the later model with the bigger engine displacement and injection. Seller is asking $4900 which I find a bit high for the given mileage. Bike has 48K on the clock so not a low mileage example by any means.....and lower mileage examples have been going for less ask.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Always like that Speed Triple. I rode the next gen one, the one before the truncated tail. T595 I think? Maybe T955. I'm not sure exactly. I just remember the one I rode was a lime green color and was equipped with the factory installed sport exhaust. I test rode a pink one right after that had more go fast goodies on it.

All I can say is, I was gobsmacked at how much torque those things made. It was all I could do to not wheelie the things in the first 3 gears. It was less difficult to manage in 4th but it didn't take much the get the front end off the asphalt either. Not that I'm a wheelie kinda rider but it just was too easy.

No slouch in the handling department either. It was a willing partner in attacking corners. Suspension is stellar and one could ride the front hard into the corner and have it stick while carrying serious corner speed.

You just didn't wanna get full on the gas until up right on exit though. Front wheel would be clawing skyward. Brakes were stellar too. We were warned before the ride to not go and wheelie and stoppie or we'd be taken off the ride.

First corner, the guy in front of me parks it and then takes his time through it. I got in, like I always do and had to hammer the brakes to keep from ass ending him. Rear end came right up. I got a warning from the sweep rider.

As soon as we stopped I explained to him, it wasn't my intention to do a stoppie but the rider parking in the corner left me no option. He understood and allowed me to take the second test ride. Where in, I started off behind the lead rider and let him go a bit before hammering on the throttle.

All I gotta say is, any of the early Speed Triples sound good to me. l'd love to have one in my garage.
Two S3 models between the first gen 1 version (885cc carbed engine) I posted and the 'tail tuck' version (1050cc FI). There was the T509 from '97 to '00. And then 955i from '00 until '05.

I owned a '92 Trident, which was essentially the same as the Gen 1 S3 without all the menacing good lucks and attitude. Loved that bike! I then owned an '02 Daytona, which was essentially a fully clothed S3 with clip-ons. More power, less torque. Less hooligan, but more of a serious corner carver. I loved that bike. I love Triumphs!!

And without further ado, a Gen 3 955i offered locally to me. I wish I had the money....

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #724
That one's a peach. I've seen similar ads around here....but few with as low miles as that. Currently there are several Monsters, a ZRX and a couple of Speed Triples on Bay Area CL. All at similar price points to that one. High $2K to mid $3Ks seems to be a sweet spot right now.

I have money but not room. Well....that and my wife might give me a shiner if I brought home yet another bike. 👊🤕 🤣

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #725

·
Registered
4,055 Posts

I can't get my '99 to power wheelie in 2nd or 3rd. 1st I can, but I have to be very deliberate about it. Like let off the throttle then hammer it. I've verified on a dyno it's making the power it should be. My 1050 won't wheelie either. Is it because I'm a light guy at like 130 lbs?

Anyway, the torque is definitely dumb. I think it's absolutely ruined me and what I expect from motorcycles. I rode a 1290 super duke and I felt the speedies made more accessible torque. The KTM vibrated and shook when I hammered it at 4-5k. It felt like it was lugging and vibrating apart. The speedy will take a handful of throttle at 3k and pull smoothly/cleanly. I've never really ridden a bike comparable. Even the ZRX1100 I had a go on was a bit high strung, just not much power before 7k.

Two S3 models between the first gen 1 version (885cc carbed engine) I posted and the 'tail tuck' version (1050cc FI). There was the T509 from '97 to '00. And then 955i from '00 until '05.

I owned a '92 Trident, which was essentially the same as the Gen 1 S3 without all the menacing good lucks and attitude. Loved that bike! I then owned an '02 Daytona, which was essentially a fully clothed S3 with clip-ons. More power, less torque. Less hooligan, but more of a serious corner carver. I loved that bike. I love Triumphs!!

And without further ado, a Gen 3 955i offered locally to me. I wish I had the money....

small nitpick but the 97-98 were t509 which designated 885cc (sleeved down 955cc). 99-01 was 955cc but only 00 and 01 had 955i designation for some reason. I was second guessing which engine I had right after I bought my '99 because of it. The engine is the same 99-01. Wiring and ECU were updated for 00 and 01. I still don't know what to call it because it isn't a t509 or a 955i.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I can only get my V11 to snap roll.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can't get my '99 to power wheelie in 2nd or 3rd. 1st I can, but I have to be very deliberate about it. Like let off the throttle then hammer it. I've verified on a dyno it's making the power it should be. My 1050 won't wheelie either. Is it because I'm a light guy at like 130 lbs?

Anyway, the torque is definitely dumb. I think it's absolutely ruined me and what I expect from motorcycles. I rode a 1290 super duke and I felt the speedies made more accessible torque. The KTM vibrated and shook when I hammered it at 4-5k. It felt like it was lugging and vibrating apart. The speedy will take a handful of throttle at 3k and pull smoothly/cleanly. I've never really ridden a bike comparable. Even the ZRX1100 I had a go on was a bit high strung, just not much power before 7k.

small nitpick but the 97-98 were t509 which designated 885cc (sleeved down 955cc). 99-01 was 955cc but only 00 and 01 had 955i designation for some reason. I was second guessing which engine I had right after I bought my '99 because of it. The engine is the same 99-01. Wiring and ECU were updated for 00 and 01. I still don't know what to call it because it isn't a t509 or a 955i.
You're right about the engine displacements, only the Daytona increased engine capacity with the new model. From further reading, what I can find is that the '98 - '05 models were called Speed Triple 955i. It makes the '97 and '98 models a bit of an anomaly, and loved within the clan of Triumph fans.

And speaking of anomalies, a very clean Triumph Daytona Super 3 hit CL recently, and for pretty low money. Worth the investment if I had the cash, which I didn't. :)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #729
Worth the investment if I had the cash, which I didn't.
Sigh. I have that problem quite a lot myself! 😆

Seemingly every time I find a lust worthy motorcycle on CL. Right now there is a salvage titled MotoGuzzi Sport 1100i that I'd had my eye on for about a year and a half now. It's been on CL since about a year after I got my 900SS project bike.

Anyway, apparently it has now been traded to a dealer in San Jose and is being resold for $2999. Roughly half of what the original asking price was. Still an object of my moto lust as I've written about it numerous times here.

Also found an Bimota SB8 on Cycle Trader for a very affordable $7.8K which, in the grand scheme of things is a very small amount of money for one of those.

Aside from those two bikes, I'd only add about 4, maybe 5 more to my collection before I'd call it complete. #1 would have to be a Piega which I've actually found a few for sale internationally. I'd have to come up with around $20K but that's not in the realm of impossible. Unlikely, yes, even highly so but not impossible.

#2, #3 and #4 are far less obscure and rare, a Honda RC-51 and Suzuki TL1000R. Both I would call easily accessible on CL. Then an M900 Monster. Nothing newer than a '04 though, and preferably an Sie.

Last, and probably least simply because finding one in the shape I'd want and as accessible as I'd want is nearer impossible, a Yamaha TRX850

On that note, even though I can't find one on CL to post for sale as has become my tradition for a BOD, I think the TRX should be today's BOD.

From Rare Sportbikes for sale:
Built between model years 1995 and 1999 and powered by the same big, thudding 849cc engine that motivated the weird, jack-of-all-trades TDM, Yamaha’s unusual parallel twin utilized their signature five-valve head, with three inlet and two exhaust.

The three smaller inlet valves allow for better breathing than would a two larger items, and this configuration featured on many Yamahas of the period. The engine also incorporated a “big-bang” 270° crankshaft that helped give the bike a character distinct from more common 360° designs.

A five-speed gearbox may have been a bit lacking in ratios, but the torquey twin made that sixth gear superfluous.
As it was an auction, the page stated that bidding was stupendously low so I don't know if it actually sold. The ad was on eBay. Also, this was from 2015.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #730
Anyway, the torque is definitely dumb. I think it's absolutely ruined me and what I expect from motorcycles.
I don't disagree. The only bike I've ridden with more torque off the bottom is my Aprilia. The 996 probably has a bit more but comes on so smooth that it doesn't feel as torquey.

I remember being just completely impressed by the Speedy I rode. Then I got my Aprilia. I went on another test ride at the now defunct Triumph dealer in Santa Rosa and found myself less impressed than I'd been having just hopped off the Aprilia.

That stated, the same thing happened when I test rode a few Ducati's having just hopped off my Aprilia. I can only think of 2 bikes that made me think my Aprilia was not up to the task of out doing either bike. At least in the torque department.

1 was the RSV4, which even now, if you look at the specs it tops all other new sportsbikes, even the Ducati Panigale V4 for horsepower and torque. 2nd was believe it or not, the Ducati Diavel. It is really one butt ugly motorcycle but it has torque for days and delivers it as smooth as silk drawers.

Compared to either of those bikes my Aprilia feels less polished, much more raw in both character and power/torque delivery. Both the RSV4 and the Diavel deliver a smooth and polished character though each is blisteringly fast to ride. My riding buddy Pete described it best after he rode my Aprilia. The only word he could summon was "Brutal"

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
The Trixie is an absolute cult bike in Japan. Rather pop in the EU as well. Sadly, no US versions. Canada? DK about that.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
I've seen exactly one here in the US in person. It was red with a white frame. The bike in the ad has a black frame so my guess is, it is a different bike than that one I saw. They're pretty much unobtanium here in the US though.

I did find one for sale in the UK. Through MCN, as there are bikes for sale in the back. Price isn't horrible at like £3K which would be around $4500 or so. I just don't know what it would take to ship the bike here.

Price being the least among my concerns as there would be all manner of red tape to import it...at least, I imagine so anyway. Once imported the task of registration is another hurdle if one were to want to ride it at any rate. And I most certainly would.

My guess.....possibly as much as $7200 all said and done. I might be wrong. It's happened before.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
A horrible bike, IMO. That engine series had troubes with oil consumption - no idea why. Yamaha should know how to avoid that. As with so many others, it did not sell and was dropped.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #735
Heh....when I lived in the UK, riders there called it the "tedium" 😆 and yeah, it was a butt ugly bike with a less than stellar engine. I'm pretty sure the UK press called it 'boring' and then tagged it the "tedium"

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #736

On Bay Area CL right now....though located in Oregon. Kinda on the higher end of what I'd be looking to pay for one....actually out of where I'd want to be by a significant amount.

Particularly so because it's a first year bike and though it only has 12K on it, I'm more after a later one. Still, this is a pretty clean and well preserved example.

·
Registered
148 Posts

On Bay Area CL right now....though located in Oregon. Kinda on the higher end of what I'd be looking to pay for one....actually out of where I'd want to be by a significant amount.

Particularly so because it's a first year bike and though it only has 12K on it, I'm more after a later one. Still, this is a pretty clean and well preserved example.
Have you ridden one? I was unimpressed with first gear regarding taking off from traffic lights and just general street riding. Maybe as a race bike yes, street bike it was not the best. Build quality was great, loved the anodized fork caps and triple tree, paint colours were cool as well and sounded great. Peace

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #738
No, never rode one. A guy I flew with had one, and we rode together on several occasions. It seemed to me it was nearly identical to my Aprilia in many ways. Sounded almost the same, acceleration was pretty much even.....my Aprilia is geared down from stock so Joe's RC-51 was a bit faster on top. Other than that, I'd call it pretty even from where I sat.

Another buddy had a TL1000 and that thing was a monster. More torque, more HP and pulled like a train. I had to work pretty hard to stay with that thing. The addition of a Fox shock out back to replace the rotary damper and spring that thing came with stock did wonders to make it handle...at least in his hands it did.

I'd consider either of them for ownership.....at least if the price were what I was willing to part with.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Prolly a close ratio box, which makes first rather high. The styling, if it matters, strikes me as slightly boxy. The early examples had overheating problems with the side-mounted rads. S'posedly, the last US production year is the one to have. Fully sorted.

And Zook? Yeah they had to do it weird on the rear suspension. I came close to pulling the trigger on an SV1000S, but it was a "B" team bike. Could easily have had 20 more HP, and Gixxer brakes and suspension. Now that would have been irresistible.

721 - 739 of 739 Posts