Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
801 - 813 of 813 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't get Bimota. Weird designs, high prices, and crappy build quality.

I saw one up close on the stand at the International Motorcycle show in Birmingham back in the mid 90's. The quality of the bodywork and paint looked like the bike had been built in 12th grade shop class, and in a hurry to boot.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I don't get Bimota. Weird designs, high prices, and crappy build quality.

I saw one up close on the stand at the International Motorcycle show in Birmingham back in the mid 90's. The quality of the bodywork and paint looked like the bike had been built in 12th grade shop class, and in a hurry to boot.
what are your guys thoughts on the tesi?? hmm i've always thought the sb6 is a beautiful bike, but maybe that's just the paint hah.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #803 ·
I dunno what Bimota you looked at but every single one I’ve ever seen, stood next or ridden with was a jewel of a motorcycle.

They were the pinnacle of motorcycle engineering. Take a Japanese engine, built a stiffer and lighter frame, add premium suspension and brakes and voilá.

No one else “got it” until Tadao Baba designed the Fireblade. That’s 900RR to those of us this side of the pond

If anyone is interested, check out The Bimota thread in this section of the forum

Reactions: auburn

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Closest I ever got to one was in about 1981-1982. Saw it go by in the city where I worked and followed it to the local Honda dealer. It was an ex-Steve Baker SB-3. Not this one, but pretty close.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #805 ·
Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

My BOD for today is^^^^the Cagiva Gran Canyon.

The why: It was an adventure tourer before there was such a thing. Powered by a Ducati 900 Desmo due engine it is the ancestor of today’s Multistrada.

It could be purchased with hard luggage as a complete touring set up or naked as above. Or, anywhere in between really.
Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

It made roughly 70 hp but unlike the 900SS or Monster of the same period it had a wet clutch.

Simply because it was unique in its time it is my BOD

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Asian nations have strict licensing and CC limits on (mostly) scooters. What to do when the need for speed strikes? How about a gear-driven DOHC 4-valve DESMO.... Honda Cub??? Ohlins, Brembo, high-zoot stuff. Probably 15K in this thing.

• Wow

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
Today’s BOD:
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Motorcycle Automotive lighting

1993 Bimota YB8

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

• Wow

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 ·
More of the 1993 YB8:
Light Plant Motor vehicle Speedometer Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

Vehicle Tire Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Note the peek a boo carbon fiber of the body work showing through the paint.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Red Material property

And the 2 piece Akront-Marvic alloy/magnesium composite wheels.
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle

Bimota is a portmanteau. That is, it is a name assembled from the first 2 letters of the founders last names.

The “Bi” comes from Valerio Bianchi. The “mo” comes from Giuseppe Morri. The “ta” comes from Massimo Tamburini.

Yes, that Massimo Tamburini. The man who designed Ducati’s iconic 916 and MV Agusta’s F4.

From the 1992 Cycle World article penned by author John F. Thompson:
Furano, in the dialect used by fisherfolk around Rimini, Italy, where Bimotas are built, denotes a strong wind.
The bike was hand built in 1992 and 93. Just 153 were built using FZR1000 engines.

The 1993 model pictured used a Marelli EFI system and made 164 hp and weighed just 397 lbs dry.

In 1993 that was 600 class weight and the EFI unleashed 19 more hp found missing in the stock FZR engine.

For comparison, in 2005 a GSXR 1000 made 176 hp and weighed 366 lbs dry.

The K5 GSXR was the most sought after 1K for a number of years because of those numbers.

That is how far ahead Bimota was in 1993. The fact that Japanese bikes were making those numbers by 2005 and actually handling made the market for exotica like Bimota irrelevant.

Bimota is now owned by Kawasaki.

• Love

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #810 ·
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

1989 BMW K1. 1000cc flying brick. That is, a 4 cylinder engine, layed on its side, with the crankshaft inline with the wheels.

Fuel injected (Bosch) it made 100 hp at 8K rpm it weighed 516 lbs dry.

I chose it as my BOD just because it is a leap in a different direction for BMW of the day. I can't say I've ridden one....but then, I never aspired to.

It is simply unique for a BMW of that era. Only ever seen a handful of them on the street in my life. It was built from 1988 to 1994 but just 6,920 were ever made.

Inspired by one for sale locally in Sacramento for quite a lot more than I'd expect such a bike to go for. Then again, it is likely to the be only one on the road in the entire Bay Area.

• Love

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #811 ·
Today’s BOD:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

2002 Triumph 955i Daytona Centennial Edition in British Racing Green.

Is there any color more fitting for an anniversary edition Triumph?

I actually got to test ride one of these when they were on showroom floors. Nice ride.

I didn’t get to rail on it down my favorite roads or anything but it seemed to handle quite well. Brakes were stellar.

Id probably have a more favorable opinion but Intest rode a Speed Triple before the Daytona….and that thing just rocked. It was so impressive, it was a hard act to follow.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
Today’s BOD is inspired by a Bay Area CL ad:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Honda’s V4 road racer for the street.
When the new World Superbike Championship was introduced in 1988, Honda had an issue as its highly successful custom-built RVF750 factory endurance racer (not the RC45) wouldn’t be eligible to compete. So they set out to create a new top-shelf, street-legal, limited edition race bike, producing the minimum number of units required to satisfy homologation rules. Knowing it would only have to turn out a relatively small batch of machines, Soichiro Honda wanted to use the new model to demonstrate what its factory race department was capable of. The result was a no-expense-spared race-grade legend brimming with features previously reserved for track-only machinery. Japan called it the VFR750R, but the bike we fell in love with in America was named the RC30.
When new, these sold for $18K or so back in the late 1980s.
In total, only 316 RC30s were sold in the US. The VFR750R (the name given to this bike in other markets) was first released in 1987, though only in Honda’s native Japanese market. The model wouldn’t be offered in America until 1990 — the only year it was officially sold on US shores — despite it being released to Europe and most of the other global markets in ’88. Different markets received different spec RC30s, with some versions getting a little less power. One way in which the American model differed was a red Honda wing in the tank, as opposed to the yellow found in other markets.
My BOD choice was based on the ad pictured below:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle

Note the yellow Honda emblem on the tank indicating it was not originally sold in the US.

Few motorcycles actually appreciate in value but this is certainly one. From $18K new to nearly $50K after 33 years is a relatively excellent investment. Well over double ROI.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
1980-1983 Suzuki GS650G Katana. To my eyes, the best proportioned, best styled Suzuki street bike ever made. Heavy, not terribly powerful, suspension and brakes screaming for help, but the bike just looks right.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Reactions: kensei
801 - 813 of 813 Posts