Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when putting the valve cover back on after a valve clearance check, I broke one of the bolts off in the head. How can I fix this?

Also, I wasn't putting much torque on the bolt, it came as quite a shock that I broke it. I'm hoping this might be covered under warranty, if I can convince them that the bolt was defective. But I'm betting I'll be SOL on that. Probably due to the fact that I'm not a licensed Kawasaki mechanic.

Anyway, how is it done, if it can be done, and how much might it cost?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Take the cover off again. Remove the cam cap that has the broken stud in it. Take it to your local machine shop and they will fix it for you. How much it will cost depends on how much you screwed it up.
When you replace the cam cap remember that it has to be torqued down.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Because those bolts don't bottom when they break off there is no load on them. Just try to unscrew it with a sharp pointed scriber of a set of tweezers.

FOG

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Just turn it down till it touches the shoulder. It's only compressing the rubber gasket, not holding the wheels on.

FOG

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Are you bragging or complaining?

FOG

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More bad news. No Kawasaki dealer within 50 miles has the bolt in stock. I ordered one that "probably" will be here by Friday. Ugh no riding for a whole week, I don't know if I will survive! Anyone wanna loan me their bike? ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't feel too bad, I did the exact same thing when I did my clearance check. Cost somewhere around $12 for a little bolt. Oh yes, and I invested in a torque wrench ;)

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
I just happend to look in my old race spares boxes and noticed several of the valve cover bolts. if anyone need s one I got em cheap.

FOG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts