Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read 9 ft lbs somewhere on here, but since my torque wrench only goes down to 10, I tried 10 and snapped a bolt. Went back for rest of bolts and they are all damaged /nearly snapped as well.

Anyone know the correct torque on these little 8mm bolts?

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
Stop throw that torque wrench away.
they are little bolts just tighten them a little. unless you have a inch pound wrench

FOG

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol thats what I had done in the past but for some reason decided to look up torque this time. Boy that bit me in the ass. I do have an inch lb wrench but only goes down to 120

·
Registered
404 Posts
Manual specifies 95 inch pounds, pretty close to 8 foot pounds.

On a cover with just a few bolts, I usually go to 95 inch pounds, but on covers with several bolts, i.e. clutch cover,
alternator cover, oil pan, I'm comfortable at 84 inch pounds = 7 foot pounds, especially with a fresh gasket.

Important to check calibration on torque wrench, too easy to over-tighten.

OR

"they are little bolts just tighten them a little"
The head of the bolt takes an 8mm socket, but the threads are actually 6mm.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Work on old lawn mowers and stuff. You will develop a calibrated wrist for tightness. SRS.

p.s. my brother used to say to torque the bolt until the threads strip, then back off 1/4 turn.

Reactions: Mordru

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I swapped all the case bolts to SS Allen headed screws. unless your a Gorilla there is no chance of stripping or breaking them using a T handled Hex driver. as Fog said forget the torque wrench there cover bolts not a bearing cap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I did switch to some allens and hand tightened this time. That's the last time I ever torque anything!!! lol

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Torque in its proper place. On my mountain bike, such fasteners are rated at 6-8nM,IIRC. That is not much, and if you ever get an inch-pound wrench, you will be surprised at how soon you reach the torque. The stator cover needs only to not fall off and to not leak.

·
Registered
19,756 Posts
Look at a wrench set see that the 3/8 10mm one is only 4” 100mm long. They are sized that way to limite the torque you can apply with them (gorillas need not apply).
now you take a2foot long torque wrench ment to apply mayby 100 lbs ft and try to control it to 9lbs ft. Secondly they are accurate at the very low end of their range.

+ the only bolts that requier a totque wrench are the head bolts and even then to assure the head is not distorted by uneven tightening

FOG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts