Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I bought an 04 Silver EX500.

Tmr got to get insurance and a temp permit, then get it safetied on thursday, and register it by friday............

OH YEAH..........

one question is..... what do I need to do bringing it out of winter storage?, it starts already, new battery inside....... and oil change?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Congrats, I know you'll like it ;D

I perform an oil change whenever I get mine out of storage, it might be unnecessary for some, but it's cheap insurance

·
Registered
221 Posts
Congratulations sonyboy!
Wash and wax it, check chain tension and lube if necessary,make sure battery connections are snug and hit with shot of silicone spray, check tire pressure...and ride!
Be sure to get owner's manual when you pick it up.
Is it the one from the young lady?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes it is............ got it for 4700 bucks........

yeah, i should check the tire pressure before riding it home tmr ... thanks for pointing this out.

R

·
0 Posts
Sweet! You should check out our ride to the track day in June then! It'll be a good time :)

Don't forget to check the air filter - unless you're confident the previous owner did all the proper cleaning and servicing before the winter storage.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sony,

In addition to the aforementioned advice......

As stupid as this may sound, make sure you take it for a good, long ride. At least a few hours steady if you can. Maybe lap your city a couple of times, and throw in some highway milage as well. Alot of things get bogged up during winter storage (like dust particles filtering into the canisters). You want to air out that system as best you can.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hahahaaa............ alright guy, pics will be up very soon......... can't wait to get my hands on her...lol...!

I'll be changing the oil tmr night........ how do i check my air filter... is it cleanable or just buy another one......

R

·
0 Posts
To check the air filter:

Remove the gas tank, or have a buddy lift it up. It's right in under there inside the airbox.

You clean it. Wash it with water, make sure it's dry and then spray it with air filter oil, which you can buy at Canadian Tire for a few bucks. It is reusable. Clean it 2 or three times throughout the summer, unless you a) drive in a tonne of dust or b) rack up a tonne of kms!

Post the pics!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First Ride today was so nice......... I find that I am a bit tense... and man, my arm is definetly not used to that position.........kind of tired but i put on about 50kms... had to do an emergency stop already almost locked up the rear tires... but still kept the bike somewhat stable...(it was one of those yellow lights thing, where if i were in my car i would have gased it)......

I had my friend behind me as a blocker so that when I stalled, i won't be so rushed and mess up stuff.... he even took pictures too...... and here are the long awaited pictures!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Beautiful machine you got there ;D

Glad to see you got leathers but there's something missing.. Get pants before losing a knee ;)

The reason you are so tired after all that is probably, part adrenaline rush-off and being too tense on the bike.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One More.......... actually there are many more.......... haha but i won't post them all here, will be added to my face book....

whos got facebook, ?

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I am getting pants tmr or Friday. Just too much to do today...

Frog said:
Beautiful machine you got there ;D

Glad to see you got leathers but there's something missing.. Get pants before losing a knee ;)

The reason you are so tired after all that is probably, part adrenaline rush-off and being too tense on the bike.

·
Registered
530 Posts
That is a nice ride you have there.. congrats!

Although I especially like that you're wearing jacket, gloves, boots and lid on your first bike. Nice. I'm in the same boat on pants.. gotta do some shopping.

The secret to comfort is to relax, use your abs and back to keep your weight off the bars. Just hold onto the throttle hard enough to twist. Personally, I keep my index & middle finger over the brake in all city traffic, and full fist the throttle only when on remote roads or open slab. I'm constantly reminding myself to relax my arms.

Other comfort mods: touring screen, Corbin saddle, bar risers (I have yet to get risers).

So far my longest trip was ~500 miles in a day. The first 350 are easy. 500 made me want a throttle lock.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Careful with covering your front brake, if you hit a big pot hole/bump you may end up giving it a hard grab. I know some of the roads in Ottawa are that bad, with my hand on the clutch have hit a few that have made me grab... damn good thing my other hand wasn't on the front brake.

PS: Looking good!

·
Registered
530 Posts
bprintz said:
Careful with covering your front brake, if you hit a big pot hole/bump you may end up giving it a hard grab.
Well.. I've done a lot of reading, picking up riding tips (this is my first ride too) and have come to the conclusion it's not necessarily bad. MSF tells you NOT to cover the brake for the pretty much the same thing: They don't want you grabbing a handful by accident especially when in a corner. But Lee Parks, Nick Ienatsch, and Keith Code all suggest covering. So who's right? The method I've adopted is really just resting the tips of your first two fingers on the lever, with your ring finger, little finger & thumb lightly gripping the throttle. I still have to roll the throttle closed in order to get any leverage on the brake; but it does trim off a second or maybe two. It's also something I've been practising while working on my braking.. chopping the throttle off upsets the bike, so I've been trying to switch from open throttle to full brake as smoothly as possible.

Keeping such a relaxed grip allows the bike to be much more nimble as I've stopped resisting the bar inputs with the other hand: Initially I would push right to turn right, but not really realize I was also pushing slightly left. The lighter grip has increased my sensitivity tremendously. Now I just avoid those pot holes. ;D

I do appreciate the warning though.. It is something a rider should think about (which is why the MSF courses advise against it IMO).

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
geezzzz i didn't even know i was this tense on my bike, even my butt is sore... and i know its not because of the seat kind of sore, it more like after a workout kind of sore....

but for sure i have to learn how to grip the handle bar a bit lighter, i am having trouble to use my turn signals, ... and i don't have small hands...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts