Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had removed the front brake caliper from my other bike because I was replacing the fender fairing. The pads became tight, due to someone squeezing my hand brake (im assuming) and so I asked how to best relieve that pressure. People recommended that I take some pliers, place the closed ends inbetween the pads, and open them which results in the pads being pried apart.
So I did that, mounted the caliper, but now my brake doesn't work. When I squeeze the brake lever, it comes all the way in and touches the handle-bar, and we all know it should only come in about 1-2 inches. Wondering what the hell went wrong, everyone recommended that I use pliers, and now my brakes are shot. Can this be fixed easily? Thanks. A little frustrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,369 Posts
Go to the FYI section and read "front caliper service"

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told by various people to just pry the pads apart. Didnt work out as I hoped. FOG's instructional seems pretty extensive, geeze. Now I have to buy new brake fluid. Wonderful.
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
It is possible to force the pads apart without bleeding the brakes. You then need to press in the lever a few times or "pump" the brake to build up pressure so that it will grab correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,369 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
I was told by various people to just pry the pads apart. Didnt work out as I hoped. FOG's instructional seems pretty extensive, geeze. Now I have to buy new brake fluid. Wonderful.
Holy Crap! Crying about 3 bucks for Brake fluid. I'll bet he has one o them three hunret dollar Muzzythiungys though.

If you knew what you were doing you could short cut some of those steps, but you don't.

FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FOG said:
eXce!!eNt said:
I was told by various people to just pry the pads apart. Didnt work out as I hoped. FOG's instructional seems pretty extensive, geeze. Now I have to buy new brake fluid. Wonderful.
Holy Crap! Crying about 3 bucks for Brake fluid. I'll bet he has one o them three hunret dollar Muzzythiungys though.

If you knew what you were doing you could short cut some of those steps, but you don't.

FOG
No I don't know what I'm doing. Does that make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside? This is a Troubleshooting forum, you genius. If you want to point your old, wrinkly finger and scoff because you know more about motorcycles than me, go ahead. You're pathetic though. Some of us aren't born knowing about brake calipers, if you can't wrap your head around that fact...maybe you should seek therapy.

Thanks spike for the response. It is a hydraulic system after all, pumping the lever theoretically should work. I'll give it a whirl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,369 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
FOG said:
eXce!!eNt said:
I was told by various people to just pry the pads apart. Didnt work out as I hoped. FOG's instructional seems pretty extensive, geeze. Now I have to buy new brake fluid. Wonderful.
Holy Crap! Crying about 3 bucks for Brake fluid. I'll bet he has one o them three hunret dollar Muzzythiungys though.

If you knew what you were doing you could short cut some of those steps, but you don't.

FOG
No I don't know what I'm doing. Does that make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside? This is a Troubleshooting forum, you genius. If you want to point your old, wrinkly finger and scoff because you know more about motorcycles than me, go ahead. You're pathetic though. Some of us aren't born knowing about brake calipers, if you can't wrap your head around that fact...maybe you should seek therapy.

Thanks spike for the response. It is a hydraulic system after all, pumping the lever theoretically should work. I'll give it a whirl.
Hey you know what? I don't give a crap about you or your stupid Motorcycle. If you can't stand a little Jibe

Drop Dead

PO FOG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FOG said:
Hey you know what? I don't give a crap about you or your stupid Motorcycle. If you can't stand a little Jibe

Drop Dead

PO FOG
Likewise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
FOG said:
eXce!!eNt said:
FOG said:
eXce!!eNt said:
I was told by various people to just pry the pads apart. Didnt work out as I hoped. FOG's instructional seems pretty extensive, geeze. Now I have to buy new brake fluid. Wonderful.
Holy Crap! Crying about 3 bucks for Brake fluid. I'll bet he has one o them three hunret dollar Muzzythiungys though.

If you knew what you were doing you could short cut some of those steps, but you don't.

FOG
No I don't know what I'm doing. Does that make you feel warm and fuzzy on the inside? This is a Troubleshooting forum, you genius. If you want to point your old, wrinkly finger and scoff because you know more about motorcycles than me, go ahead. You're pathetic though. Some of us aren't born knowing about brake calipers, if you can't wrap your head around that fact...maybe you should seek therapy.

Thanks spike for the response. It is a hydraulic system after all, pumping the lever theoretically should work. I'll give it a whirl.
Hey you know what? I don't give a crap about you or your stupid Motorcycle. If you can't stand a little Jibe

Drop Dead

PO FOG
FOG you remind me of a guy I use to work with,his real name was Bob,but we called him Grumpy. Thats not bad either,because he's one of the best damn people I knew,he'd give ya the shirt off of his back if you needed it. You know,one of those kind of people. Bob passed away last November(heartattack in his sleep) and what you say to some people reminds me of him and how he acted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
270 Posts
bye the way a big c clamp works a bit easier than pliers, make sure you use an old pad so you don't damage the good one. If you can't just pump it back up squeeze the lever a few times and hold it down then crack the bleed screw watch the fluid coming out if its clear and no bubbles that's good and close the screw. pump the lever again if it feels good then just add more fluid if not then add some fluid and try it again. remember to leave the cap on the master cylinder when doing this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Smoky said:
remember to leave the cap on the master cylinder when doing this.
I remember my first time doing this on my truck left the cap off and I had two streaming jets of brake fluid shooting up to my hood.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
103 Posts
scoobywrx05 said:
FOG you remind me of a guy I use to work with,his real name was Bob,but we called him Grumpy. Bob passed away last November(heartattack in his sleep) and what you say to some people reminds me of him and how he acted.
LOL, FOG is going to have a heart attack in his sleep as well. You are going to dream about **** like this and get really pissed. "GOD DAMNIT! FUCKING MUZZY FART CANS!! CANT YOU FIX IT YOURSELF!!!"..........heart exploads, lol. I'm just kidding btw, i dont wish any harm, it was just a funny thought that came to my head.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
this whole problem seems strange, I've used the same technique to pry open calibers many times.

FOG is a good guy, he's helped me step through step more times than I care to admit.

Maybe you blew a seal? I have no idea, usually I just pump the brakes until they grip again. When in doubt, bleed, bleed again!
 
Z

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I think (my .02 cents) it's best to always open the bleeder before prying the pads apart. This way all the old, dirty fluid is not pushed back up the brake line and the pads push apart easily. Put a small hose/tube on the bleeder and run it into an old plastic bottle. Crack the bleeder and push the pad/pistons in. Tighten the bleeder. Do the same on the other pad. Bleed the brakes after installing the new pads just to be sure all the air is out. Also, this is a good time to replace the old fluid with new - just keep bleeding the brakes and refilling the reservoir with the new fluid. You'll be suprised at how dirty the fluid in the caliper is.
Oh, and make sure to fully pump the lever to get the new pads tight against the disc before riding!!
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top