Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the wireing done, an I was wondering what a simple solution would be for the fast blinking with brakes on? I did the trailer convertor brake inegration.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You just need to replace the flasher relay. The stock is load-based. You need an electronic time-based unit. The one I've seen linked on the forums is this one:
http://www.customled.com/PRODUCTS/FLASHER_RELAY/flasher_relay.htm#elfr1

I'm looking for a simpler, easy to pick up (locally) option since I've got time on my hands and am not that bothered by the blink rate.

The other option is increasing the load back to stock using resistors, but while that's cheaper you're losing the low power advantage of LEDs and increasing heat to an extent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nick D - any idea how many ohm resistor I would need... i think its ohm, not really up to snuff on that stuff. And what is the factory load, could i just put a heavier duty light bulb in?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thinking about it a little further I dont think it would be as simple as adding a resistor into the line. You would need a resistor that would only resist when the brakes were on, otherwise when your blinker was on and your brakes were not then the resistor would still be resisting and the relay would most like read out too much resistance and blink fast anyway. So long story short, I think your aftermarket relay for $20 would be the best bet by far.

·
Registered
298 Posts
where does the relay get wired into.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The tail section wiring - between the bike's wiring harness and the wires going to the turn signals and the tail light. If you pop off your seat and look back into the tail at the tail light bulbs, that's most of the wiring you'll deal with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts