Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

On my Gen1, My brakelight is on (running light) but will not actually work (light up) when I press the front brake or rear break pedal. Is this a wiring issue? Is it time to break out the multimeter? Thanks. Anyone had this problem?

Sanka

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Lucky,

i hear the click when the press the front brake light.

Does this also mean that Gen1's brake light don't work for rear pedals? Thanks.

Sanka

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It's either in a relay or in the wires where it ties to the brake light . Check to see if you have fire going to the both sides of front brake switch (with the lever pulled in ). if so, it's in your wiring .

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Bad Bulb.

FOG

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking that until i noticed that both bulbs were running when i have the engine on. I guess I'll stop at the dealer anyway and pick some up. Thanks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
arent the bulbs dual filament? maybe the brake light filament is burnt? Its used less often but run has a higher output, right?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Thats the what i was wondering, if each bulb does those two different tasks. :)

·
Registered
722 Posts
if im not mistaken I believe that's how it is. take the bulbs out and look at them closely, should be able to see the broken filament rolling around in the the bulb.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
for your rear brake, check out the switch, and screw it in or out a little bit... maybe a half to a full turn? thats how i fixed mine.
it would come on and stay on, or it wouldnt come on at all. it was a crap shoot really. gave it a little twist and it works perfectly now.

my front switch still doesnt work (got a new one coming), so i wanted to make sure the rear would work at least, so i didnt get run over lol.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Had a related problem with my used '05... brake light was always on.
It was the foot brake adjustment... behind the frame about where the ankle would be.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I second the bad bulb. They are dual fillament, one for riding lights one for brake lights. You don't need to go to the dealer, you could get them at wal mart. I can't remember which number they are but pop one of the suckers off and you'll see the type stamped on the brass. 1157 maybe?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
HooliganD said:
I second the bad bulb. They are dual fillament, one for riding lights one for brake lights. You don't need to go to the dealer, you could get them at wal mart. I can't remember which number they are but pop one of the suckers off and you'll see the type stamped on the brass. 1157 maybe?
1157 would be right ..

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok So the rear pedal was disconnected from the little plunger so i used some 18 gauge wire to connect it back again. SO the rear is ok.
I replaced both bulbs just in case.

Hey Dragknee- The front is still out, do I have to take apart the lever in order to see the connection to the plunger?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Maybe a pinched wire where the insulation is intact but the wire is broken inside. A continuity test w/ a multimeter could work. Some such wires work intermittently & can be a nuisance to track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts