Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the added benefit on our bikes of using stainless steel brake lines.. primarily on the front..

Or is it better to run them front and rear

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
There isn't any real benefit at all. Some will say they feel diffrent, but that's all they can possibly do. They're shinny. I find most of the folks on here are attracted to shinny things.

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
when i went from the stock rubber lines to the braided stainless steel lines, they didn't squish when i reefed on the brake. is it a benefit? maybe... i thought it was nice.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
There's a good reason why the stock lines feel softer. It's to aide stopping in a controlled manner. That's a poor way of explaining it. The Idea is to give more ease to modulating the brake pressure. A hard line like the SS ones can cause some abruptness that may be even harsh to some. I had them On my race bike but it didn't do anything for my lap times. What else matters?

FOG

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all

So as far as added benefit.. it just might make the feel alittle tighter.. and stiffer.. ok.. that works..

and they look better in some opinions

S

·
0 Posts
If you ever get the chance: grab a handful of stock brake, then grab a handful of braided brake line (while stopped), you'll notice the difference. If you have fine motor control, the braided lines will be nice because they won't "squish" when you squeeze them...I'm selling mine in the "for sale" section.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
In any mission critical hose the stainless are better if only from a chaffing standpoint, shinny can have it's use's, ie rubber lines can wear thru allot faster then stainless in a chaffing type situtation, as to braking, many racers find its easier to dial in the right amount of brakes with a crisp/firm brake rather then a mushy one.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Did someone say shiny? I have Galfer brake lines solely for durability...didn't feel a big dif in
actual stoping power though.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It's not that it increases total stopping power but that it is easier to control a firm brake over a mushy one.
Also as the rubber line is expanding it is not putting all it force into stopping at that point.
I've had my EX in 3 foot stoppies at the track, once at Daytona while stopping at the tire teck for a temp check (I over shot him) and once in front of the grandstands on pit-row at Morsoso while showing off while pulling in for the winners interview from Henery DeGowe after winning a expert Lt Wt Superbike race.......now I do have a GSXR-750 43mm front end but still only running 1 brake on one side...kevlar EBC + steelbraided = better stopping ability...

·
Registered
192 Posts
yeah.... wolf has it... the lack of expansion in the brake line really helps... it increases brake fluid pressure when you squeeze the lever... i dont have them on my ex yet... but i just put some on the track bike and i can really tell a difference

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
It does not do anything of the sort. The harder feel of them is it, if you like it fine theydo no harm

FOG

·
Registered
192 Posts
it definetly helped increase braking... noticably... which is something that i was looking for to go along with my HH grade boots... slowing down for VIR's turn one is demanding

1 - 13 of 13 Posts