Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently my rear brake pedal has excessive side-to-side movement according to the MOT tester (UK) :mad:

A few folk in the "know" said I should just add a washer to stop it from wobbling about.

I've never had to fix/repair/bodge one of these yet, so any helpful hints/suggestions most appreciated.

Don't even know how to remove the lever to check it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yeah sounds like your tester is like mine if it's not perfect don't take it. anyways yes a washer to take out the slack would be fine, (got two on the gen 1) remove the centre screw/nut from the brake shaft un-clip the spring and pull the lever off find an appropriate washer grease it, and slide on the shaft then the replace the pedal outer washer and nut.
check for side play (add another washer) or a thicker one if still slack finally re attach the return spring. done.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Oh great! some officious dweeb with govermnment authority to riun your day. If there is a really good hardware store about, look for mylar washers. Just a few thousandths thick, they can snug up brake pedal or shifter. Along with some HQ grease, they can improve shifting action at the lever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check for side play (add another washer) or a thicker one if still slack finally re attach the return spring. done.
Thanks Yorkie, yeah did as per your instructions and he was fine with it, didn't appear on the test sheet as an advisory, so nice one m8. Finally got the bike through its MOT. The mono shock was an absolute sod to get off, but I did it. The other main fail was of course the valve stem seal on the front wheel. Easy fix you think? Not up here m8, only ONE guy in the whole of Inverness did it for me. Happy to give Keith of Motorcycle Services a shout out, top fella if anybody ever needs tyres, repairs or just about anything else done. He's on Harbour Road, Unit 6, Inverness. So that's the old bike back on the road for another year, 27 years old! Runs like a good 'un, starts on the button, pulls like a train :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
valve stem seal yeah I had one of those go early on with gen1 I think it was over worked due to the tyre kept losing pressure. one day it snapped pulling it to get the compressor on. (note never reuse them false economy) anyways had to take the wheel off and break the seal to replace it. it was then I noticed why the tyre was going down the bead on the rim was really corroded even after cleaning it up and replacing the valve it kept going down, so I just put a tube in it. problem solved.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
valve stem seal yeah I had one of those go early on with gen1 I think it was over worked due to the tyre kept losing pressure. one day it snapped pulling it to get the compressor on. (note never reuse them false economy) anyways had to take the wheel off and break the seal to replace it. it was then I noticed why the tyre was going down the bead on the rim was really corroded even after cleaning it up and replacing the valve it kept going down, so I just put a tube in it. problem solved.
Yeah same here m8. The valve stem seal was cracked and deteriorating. To be honest, the cost £6 along with the used suspension unit £40 - bought from a chap on this forum :) - hasn't been all that expensive really. It was getting that lower bolt off, almost welded on with rust. Used a make shift breaker bar which did the trick and I have some spare bolts in the shed from parts bought a few years back when a guy was breaking a GPZ locally. Other than that it was all the hassle of getting the bike rebooked for it's MOT - 14 days wait!!!! When I spoke to the tester he was okay, and put it through as a retest, thank god. 15 minutes later I had a fresh ticket, yippee :) Inverness is a total joke for bikers though, been like that for over 20 years.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
yeah. bit off subject but it must be 30years since I did the whole northern coastal route on a bike wasn't very good back then either, blew a sparkplug out in a place called Aultbea just off the A832, very few garages and absolutely no bike shops. nearest place where I could get a Helli coil fitted was boat yard in Poolewe. RAC wouldn't do a recovery as they had no vans near us. with great difficulty we dropped all our kit off at a hotel and my mate towed me there.
absolute nightmare almost spoilt the whole trip.

edit. two things I do remember being told while planning the trip, 1. never go up there in June, July, or August. or you will be eaten alive by Midges anywhere west and 2. never pass a fuel stop even if you don't need one, just in case, we went end of April beginning of May never got a bite on me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah. bit off subject but it must be 30years since I did the whole northern coastal route on a bike wasn't very good back then either, blew a sparkplug out in a place called Aultbea just off the A832, very few garages and absolutely no bike shops. nearest place where I could get a Helli coil fitted was boat yard in Poolewe. RAC wouldn't do a recovery as they had no vans near us. with great difficulty we dropped all our kit off at a hotel and my mate towed me there.
absolute nightmare almost spoilt the whole trip.

edit. two things I do remember being told while planning the trip, 1. never go up there in June, July, or August. or you will be eaten alive by Midges anywhere west and 2. never pass a fuel stop even if you don't need one, just in case, we went end of April beginning of May never got a bite on me.
Yep, believe everything you say about the trip m8. My (new) GSX400 broke down at Tyndrum. In those days I knew bugger all about mechanicals. Funnily enough there WAS an AA van parked up at the petrol station (The Green Welly) so Clive saunters over to ask a simple question - but he wouldn't tell me anything!! And that's why I have never been a member of the AA, even with all the cars I've owned. It's called Payback. Midgies are an absolute nightmare in the High Summer months. Billions of them all looking to feast on flesh, YOUR flesh, lol.... West Coast used to be murder (mum lived in Oban for many years so I know!) however as the climate is warming up, they are migrating East. I get them now in the garden during the summer evenings. Petrol? Now there's a coincidence because I was suggesting a trip up to Kinlochbervie next year with a couple of guys (GSF600 and ZZR1100). Leave Inverness with a full tank, over to Ullapool and FUEL UP! (barely 60 miles) because once your right up north, sometimes the petrol stations are shut due to supply/delivery problems. PS: Don't worry about my little GPZ keeping up with the big boys :)

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
reading your post I got to Tyndrum and thought "green welly" two lines further on there it was LOL.
the GPZ will be fine with the big boys alright. in the summer when the lads are home off the rigs at the same time we go for a spin up to Hawes, one has a CBR600 the other a ZXR600. (they like 600's) despite my age I'm not usually last :):).
mind you they make sure I'm first in the chip shop hehehe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts