Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

is it better wait until the bike is broken in before I do any mods to it? it currently has 300k on it. btw its an 06, also will a full hindle fit an 06? what about changing the filter to k&n?

I

·
0 Posts
i would wait, though im not sure its necessary. if you have the mod bug, just do some visual stuff for now.

k&n's are a waste of time on our bikes.

R

·
0 Posts
Hindle will fit an '06. I've got one :)

I'm not sure it'll matter if you mod now or wait, but why not be safe and break it in first.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Wait till after a break in to add a Pipe, Say 30,000 miles.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I would wait before modding it.

Mostly because what you think will be great right now might not live up to your expectations by the time it's on.

I usually wait until I am totally sure I won't go back about a mod or another I do ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
FOG said:

FOG
Bah. I'd wait till 100k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the replies. I thought it might be better to wait I will do the lights, fender, windscreen maybe tires and clip-ons. Nothing else serious after the exhaust.

the k&n filters are a waste?

I just wanna to ride.

R

·
0 Posts
rurecevn said:
the k&n filters are a waste?
According to FOG, yes. Do the air box mod (do a forum or google search, you'll find it) and use the stock filter. That's where you can gain a whopping 1 HP.

If I had the money it osunds like you have, I'd invest in new tires and upgrade the front suspension.

As soon as I have free money (assuming I keep the 500 more htan a couple more years) I'll be upgrading my suspension a bit. I hate how much it dives.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
There's not much ununsed power in that engine, new pipes and new airfilter will only tighten your wallet and not help the bike's performance ;)

If you want more acceleration, take weight off the bike or change the sprockets (- 1 in front and/or + some teeths in the back)

The tradeoff for the sprockets would be lower top speed and higher revving at highway speed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I had the money it osunds like you have, I'd invest in new tires and upgrade the front suspension.

*off topic*

no royson far from it. riding is a fun hobby for me my mods aren't for any extra attention or for show, just a matter of preference. I like a low profile except that hindle is just the opposite ;D

I'm willing to invest a little more even if it hurts. :) but I plan of keeping this bike for a good while.

Frog said:
There's not much ununsed power in that engine, new pipes and new airfilter will only tighten your wallet and not help the bike's performance ;)

If you want more acceleration, take weight off the bike or change the sprockets (- 1 in front and/or + some teeths in the back)

The tradeoff for the sprockets would be lower top speed and higher revving at highway speed.
I read that same thing, good to know someone else share's that opinion

I thought it might be better for bike's overall health... And I'm not a speed freak.

FOG said:

FOG
the reason behind waiting so long?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
rurecevn said:

*off topic*

no royson far from it. riding is a fun hobby for me my mods aren't for any extra attention or for show, just a matter of preference. I like a low profile except that hindle is just the opposite ;D

I'm willing to invest a little more even if it hurts. :) but I plan of keeping this bike for a good while.

Frog said:

I read that same thing, good to know someone else share's that opinion

I thought it might be better for bike's overall health... And I'm not a speed freak.

FOG said:

FOG
the reason behind waiting so long?
The Hope is you'll have moved on to a larger bike long before that and have left this one unmolested.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
FOG said:
The Hope is you'll have moved on to a larger bike long before that and have left this one unmolested.

FOG
Yeah, you can feel his love for loudpipes ;)

I lean the same way : there's no benefits to it since you don't hear them anyways past 60 km/h. So all there are there for is to show off or boost your own ego. Or give a bad opinion of bikers in general..

You should've seen my new neighbor reaction when he saw my bike. He panicked until he actually heard it. Then it was all : 'Wow dude, didn't knew they built motorcycles that quiet, the previous guy living here had one and he was real obnoxious. He kept on revving it so close to my child bedroom she kept on puking just because he was polluting her room...' and on and on for 30 minutes

My pipes are 17 years old stockers..

Flamers => That's my opinion, you are not entitled to share it. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Ya. Loud pipes are dumb. People say "Loud pipes save lives." I say "Loud pipes kill braincells." I think mine is slightly more accurate.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
So if I have this straight we have a new rider with a bike with 300 kilometers on it, that he wants to mod....

Maybe it is because I am getting old, but doesn't this sound like a solution looking for a problem. I always thought you modded a vehicle to correct deficiencies.

What deficiencies do you have... being a new rider with 300 whole kilometers under your belt?

Get out and RIDE. Spend your money on fuel and tires. That will make it a better bike than any bolt on stuff!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
FOG said:

FOG
I literally laughed out loud when I read that.

Only reason I'd see to wait to start the mods would be to make sure everything is going to break in without any "factory defects" arousing and causing an argument with the dealer saying that your pipe broke your "x." Mechanically you're not going to hurt anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts