Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i pick up my 500r in about an hour. its the first new bike ive owned and im curious about the breaking in time frame.. i know it says something about the first 500 miles and not exceeding 4k rpms and so on.. is it really a big deal if i go over it.. like if i hit 6 or something by accident (not whomping on it)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Your engine will not disentigrate if you hit 6k occasionaly ;)

Other tips for breaking in:
do not go much over half throttle
vary the rpms, don't sit there with it pegged at 4k, shift gears a bit and accelerate/decelerate
in addition to accelerating, be sure to do some engine braking as well (leave it in gear as you slow down instead of pulling in the clutch and stopping completely with the brakes)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I kept mine under 6k the first 300 miles, changed the oil and filter (very important), and rode it normal after that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i wasnt gonna wait around till the 500 mark before getting on the highway so i just kept it under 6000. everything is doing great

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm actually surprised that 3 reply's actually somewhat agreed. You will hear so many different opinions on how to properly break in an engine. Personally I run with the "break it in the way you plan to ride it" theory. Just make sure to do oil changed after the first ride, then 100miles, then 500, then whatever standard interval you want. I've always sworn by oil changes at those periods for new engines. Best of luck.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bhd1223 said:
I'm actually surprised that 3 reply's actually somewhat agreed. You will hear so many different opinions on how to properly break in an engine. Personally I run with the "break it in the way you plan to ride it" theory. Just make sure to do oil changed after the first ride, then 100miles, then 500, then whatever standard interval you want. I've always sworn by oil changes at those periods for new engines. Best of luck.
wait.. youre saying i should have changed the oil after the first ride... again the next day and again in like a week?

·
Registered
722 Posts
when breaking in an engine the metal parts will have extra friction against each other, while trying to get their normal path set,depositing metal shavings into the oil, you need to get rid of these quickly, that is the reason for the frequent oil changes, it's good for the bike, but bad for the environment. wouldn't hurt to have a new filter on there after the second or third change.

don't freak if the oil is silvery in color when you change it.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Heard an interesting stat this morning :)

1 liter of oil can contaminate 1 000 000 liter of water when released in the environment...

Get your oil to a recycler ;) Not only for your own good, but for a couple of generations down the road.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Mine had a little over three hundred miles on it when I got it on Tuesday. I just followed the directions on the stickers on the gas tank and tach regarding rpm and milage. It is was hard for me to keep it under 4k, but now I am at 600 miles and am going up to the 6k range. I just changed the oil, as well.

I don't have a manual, either owner's or factory, so I am just going by the stickers on the bike and what I read here! I figure there's plenty of time to redline it later!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts