Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put my buell headlight on today:

here is a side pic:

here is the sticker i put on just for exce!!ent ;)

here you can see the CRG mirror i got. i was kind of apprehensive, cuz this thing is like 60 bucks... but once i got it, i see why its 60 bucks. first of all, the mirror itself is awesome. very clear reflection and has kind of a fish eye thing going on, but not too much, so you can see more of whats behind you. secondly, it doesnt vibrate. at all. stock mirrors sucked. all i could see was my elbows, and it vibrated like the dickens. the wind doesnt touch it either... the box says it will stay put until 120... i havent tested that and dont really plan on trying either ;) only downside ive found so far is the cost... but it is a good quality part.

here you can kind of see how i mounted the light. i used these cheapo brackets i got for 10 bucks at iron pony. they were in the harley section. the buell light has 2 holes that a screw goes through. it takes a 1/4 inch 20 screw. i had some bolts and nuts lying around and just kind of screwed it on there... ill get a pic closeup of the front later, but my battery died :(

here is my acewell speedo that came in the mail today. kind of smaller than i expected :-\ but it looks like a quality part.

im waiting to see if i can get a first gen gauge wiring harness. anyone got a spare? that way i dont have to cut the stock harness on the bike, or off my gauges, and i can just match up the wires and plug it in.

the speedometer is magnetic, and im going to have to try to figure out a way to mount it on my fork.

i got some woodcrafts coming next week sometime. that and some header wrap to cover up my rusty pipes and my "cafe racer" will be done as far as im concerned :) :) :)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
another note: took it for a spin like this, the front end is WAY lighter. the front end came up (probably only like 2 inches... but it was up) on a hard 1-2 shift ;D ;D ;D

the fairing mount and gauges weigh like 10 pounds lol.

although, there is no more wind protection... oh well...

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Wow, I love the look of the Buell headlights.

I thought it would be harder to figure a way to install those.. Glad to see they have a hole at their bottom for the screw.

If you want wind protection, forget the clip ons and get some drag bars like mine (the bars were 25$), you'll be able to mount a universal windshield for those highway rides, and take it off in a couple of seconds ;)

Good looking project, keep us posted with the new speedo install :)

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
those holes are actually at the top... i installed it upside down lol. but it works fine :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
lol, it's only a matter of perception ;)

Are the bulbs H4 standard ?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Those lights look pretty good, and that bracket kept it clean.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Schweet. Those look awesome.

I just had a thought. We need to get some EX500 Streetfighter patches made up, it'd be like a club inside the club (of EX500 riders) :p.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Sharp install!
Looks like there's plenty of room for a windscreen if you want.
Headlights could be back a bit I think. Just me.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MrSciTrek said:
Sharp install!
Looks like there's plenty of room for a windscreen if you want.
Headlights could be back a bit I think. Just me.
yeah they could be back a bit. i was thinking that too... if i can find a shorter headlight mount, id swap it out.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What's sticking out underneath the lights...

Is that the horn?

I suggest tucking whatever that is away.

But other than that, it looks really nice, I dig the mirror.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Yes, that round thingy is the horn ;)

DK, you might want to cover it up, as if too many bugs get stuck in there, it might sound so weak, you'd think it's broken..

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Once you get the gauge and the signals mounted that space will likely diminish enough that you won't really notice it. In a pinch you could get some bigger washers and move the headlights back a hole on those brackets to see were you need to dial it in.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Frog said:
Yes, that round thingy is the horn ;)

DK, you might want to cover it up, as if too many bugs get stuck in there, it might sound so weak, you'd think it's broken..
lol its the stock horn. it already sounds weak ;)

but you guys are right, i should tuck that away somewhere.

Nick D said:
Once you get the gauge and the signals mounted that space will likely diminish enough that you won't really notice it. In a pinch you could get some bigger washers and move the headlights back a hole on those brackets to see were you need to dial it in.
yeah thats what i was thinking too, just move it back a hole. im trying to figure out where to mount the gauge at... ideally it would be in between the handlebars or something. i think im gonna have to fab some sort of bracket. maybe have it attach where the handlebars attach...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yeah move the headlight back one hole and mount your signals in the front holes, should look good. My first thought was the headlight was out too far but the more I looked at it I kinda liked it too. With the gauge in there maybe it will look just fine where's it at.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
damarble said:
mount your signals in the front holes,
Only problem I conceived there was that if you put the signals in front of the headlight then the wires may just hang out in the open and ugly things up a bit, but they could probably be tied down and look fine.

dragknee said:
yeah thats what i was thinking too, just move it back a hole. im trying to figure out where to mount the gauge at... ideally it would be in between the handlebars or something. i think im gonna have to fab some sort of bracket. maybe have it attach where the handlebars attach...
You could probably use the bracket on the gauge and attach it to the triple tree somehow and be golden.

If you get a minute, check out this thread:
http://www.ex-500.com/index.php/topic,2036.0.html
I'm wondering if you've turned it on with the gauges off and such and had a problem similar to mine.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
moved it back. looks a little better IMO. and yeah dmarble, i will mount the signals in the front holes most likely.

went out for a ride (ive probably put 30 miles on it this way... no speedo, no tach, no odometer ;) ) and when i got home i checked my battery, to see if the 110W were draining it. with the battery hooked to the bike, and the bike off, it read 12.7 volts. not too bad IMO. i thought maybe it was draining or something because they looked kind of yellow, but i guess thats just the way they are. maybe i need to get some silverstars :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts