Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I had put up the bike til I got my new rear tire, and I also put up my helmet and gear. When I had taken my last ride I got a bunch of bugs on the faceshield. Once I had gotten home I put it on my table not really thinking about cleaning it til I rode next. Well I was getting my stuff together to go riding today, and I was going to wipe down my faceshield, after I had wipe it off with water then dried it I noticed these little pitted spots maybe as big as a pencil tip. They were the places the bugs had been and somehow corroded the plastic. It doesn't affect my vision but it looks awful on the outside.

·
Registered
577 Posts
What helmet do you have? Original faceshield?

·
Registered
577 Posts
I've had the same face shield since I bought my helmet in September 2004; got a Shoei RF-1000. I keep it clean using water and plexus and the shield looks almost new. I live in New York. That's very very odd. And quite annoying for you I would guess. :mad:

·
Registered
496 Posts
i try to clean my shield each night after riding. i wax it at least once a week. no problems thus far. i hate the bugs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
whats good to take off the bug juice? I find.. spray the plexus on and let it sit for a minute...buggies come right off!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I live in SE PA, today I cleaned my shield once, already. I used to live in The Ozarks and cleaned it several times a day. How many dragonflys do you want stuck to your face?

I try not to let it sit long with bugjuice on it, but I have noticed that the better shields seem to be less prone to damage from solvents and abrasion.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've been through 2 shields on my ex-400 also, not high quality plastic, thats the only downfall Ive found on the helmet so far

1 - 10 of 10 Posts