Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

i used to race an 89 EX500 in 97. I crashed it and broke my collarbone, went another direction, but always kept the bike, sometimes drained of fluids and stored in the living room. I have had various other bikes since (ZX-7, several R1’s, KTM Supermoto, Hypermotard).

The wife has been a passenger and just recently decided she wants to ride. I let her know my other bikes were not suited to a beginner, sowe decided to get the EX500 back on the road.

i found an EX500with a good title and bad motor (found lots of other bad things after i got it home). I am swapping stuff over from the race bike to the new one.

ok, bring on the hate, but here is the build so far:

1989 Kawasaki EX500
1989 ZX6 Swingarm and Disc Brake
Performance Machine Chicane Rear Rim
Bridgestone Hypersport 140/70-17
Woodcraft Rearsets
2000 Yamaha R1 Forks
2003 Yamaha Triples with Custom stem
2007 Yamaha R1 Front Wheel
Apex Riser Clip Ons
Carbon Fiber Front Fender
Dual PFM 6 Piston Calipers
Yamaha R6 320mm rotors
Brembo 16mm Rcs Master Cylinder
Stock EX500 rear shock
Muzzy Stainless 2-1 Exhaust (not compatible with chin spoiler, so not sure about using it)

It’s still a work in progress, so I’ll be chiming in with questions now and again.

cheers
Paul

(Edited to put my name at the end)

·
Tanker Clown
8,758 Posts
Pics please!! LoL
Sounds like a nice build. My only question was why you maintained the stock EX shock?

I mean, you've got a stellar front end....it'll be let down by the floppy sock rear shock.

Seems there are other inexpensive options out there and the EX shock is about as plush and supportive as a paper cup.

SV650 rear shock maybe?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics please!! LoL
Sounds like a nice build. My only question was why you maintained the stock EX shock?

I mean, you've got a stellar front end....it'll be let down by the floppy sock rear shock.

Seems there are other inexpensive options out there and the EX shock is about as plush and supportive as a paper cup.

SV650 rear shock maybe?
The rear shock hasn't been addressed yet is the only reason it's still there. I'll check out the SV650 option, Thanks.

The handlebar switches are yamaha for the time being, I have some EX switches in the mail.

Probably going to pull the Muzzy pipe and put the stock 2-1 back on so I can put the chin spoiler back.

·
Tanker Clown
8,758 Posts
Damn. That looks sweet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changes to the build in bold. Nearing the end, although they always say "the last 10% takes 90% of the time".

Previous Completed Items:
1989 Kawasaki EX500
1989 ZX6 Swingarm and Disc Brake
Performance Machine Chicane Rear Rim
Bridgestone Hypersport 140/70-17
Woodcraft Rearsets
2003 Yamaha Lower Triple with Custom Stem
2007 Yamaha R1 Front Wheel
Apex Riser Clip Ons

New Completed Items:
Vortex Billet Top Triple Clamp
2007 Yamaha R1 Forks
2007 R1 Carbon Fiber Front Fender
Galfer Rear Wave Rotor
Single 2007 Yamaha R1 6 Piston Caliper
Single 310mm 2012 Yamaha R1 stock Rotor
EBC Double-H Brake Pads
Brembo 14 RCS Master Cylinder
2007 Yamaha R1 Clutch Perch with CRG Adjustable Lever
2003 ZR7S Rear Shock

Muzzy Stainless 2-1 Exhaust header (Waiting on a Fuel Oval Carbon canister since I can't get the muzzy canister apart to repack it)
2nd gen Ninja 500 rear side panels and seat
Clear LED Brake Light with Integrated Turn Signals
Cyclops Adventure Sports 10.0 H4 LED Headlight Bulb
ZX-6 Stick Coils
EK ZVX3 Series 520 ZX-Ring Chain
Sprocket Specialties 42 Tooth Rear Sprocket
Driven 15 Tooth Front Sprocket
2nd Gen Handlebar Switches
Braided Brake Lines
Custom License plate mount
Airbox Mod (double intake ports) and K&N Filter
Pair Delete Block off Plates

Still Needed:

Custom length Clutch Cable
Fuel Petcock and hoses

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
261 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
261 Posts
Ok, not the best of news, but not out of character for the build either.

Anybody use one of these? Ebay item 265642960014
If it is what it looks like and the description is actually accurate, it could be OK. Albeit, expensive looking. Last time I did this I was able to get a 2nd Gen Flywheel for $25.00 USD. Now they are more rare and been seeing more of the 1 gen "Upgraded" stuff around and can not speak for them and they seem expensive. When I modded mine it was super simple to do. The bolt aka "flywheel puller" is just a bolt, literally. M18 (18mm) bolt with 1.50 fine pitch thread. Just the gasket I know can be had for $10.00 or can substitute gasket maker RTV.

So the Ebay listing is a complete set, that will work but I would venture to say it is about an extra $120.00 more to spend than necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it is what it looks like and the description is actually accurate, it could be OK. Albeit, expensive looking. Last time I did this I was able to get a 2nd Gen Flywheel for $25.00 USD. Now they are more rare and been seeing more of the 1 gen "Upgraded" stuff around and can not speak for them and they seem expensive. When I modded mine it was super simple to do. The bolt aka "flywheel puller" is just a bolt, literally. M18 (18mm) bolt with 1.50 fine pitch thread. Just the gasket I know can be had for $10.00 or can substitute gasket maker RTV.

So the Ebay listing is a complete set, that will work but I would venture to say it is about an extra $120.00 more to spend than necessary.
I took it apart and the flywheel was on it's last legs and the stator didn't look much better. I bought that ebay flywheel and got a stator with it. It looks really nice, but it's about 4oz heavier than my old one, although the old one had some epoxy missing and I broke one of the magnets taking it off. So maybe it's only 2-3 ounces heavier. Either way the wife will probably prefer the slightly heavier flywheel. ;)

Thanks for the heads up, would have sucked to do all that work and seize the motor within a few miles.

Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Font Bicycle drivetrain part
Audio equipment Personal protective equipment Gas Tin Circle

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
261 Posts
Yep, it was ready to be a bad day out. Glad it was caught before it got ugly, congrats!

Edit: Have you started it yet?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, it was ready to be a bad day out. Glad it was caught before it got ugly, congrats!

Edit: Have you started it yet?
I haven't started it yet. I am waiting on an exhaust canister as I was unable to get the muzzy can apart to repack it, so it has all the rivets drilled out. I also need to figure out the coolant overflow hose routing and a couple other miscellaneous things regarding the fuel tank and hoses.

I also am thinking of removing the stock exhaust hanger and replacing it with this titanium hanger from my 00 R1. Might as well use all the cool **** I have laying around if I can. :)
Plant Composite material Wood Metal Pattern

1 - 16 of 16 Posts