Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
was wondering what is the common mods. that can be done to make the 500 into a race bike.I live in Scotland just outside Edinburgh and will race it at my local circuit East Fortune.At present I race an
old air cooled 550 Kawasaki in the Earlystock class and have raced a verity of bikes for over 10 years.
I will be racing it in an open class(anything goes).The bike I aquired was involved in a rear end shunt
from a car and needs a rear wheel and possibly a swing arm would zxr 400 rear end fit?
cheers the noo Mr Broon #88

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You really can't hear your Scottish accent too much in the typing... ;D
As a decendent of Clan Gunn, HAIL!

It's all about what you can spend and what parts you can find, mine when i was done building it was 649cc (8mm over pistons + stroked Carillo rods + Falicon crank) w/ 37mm smooth bore CR carbs, megacycle cams, GSXR-750 43mm front end w/ GSXR-1100 brakes (one disk frt), alum swing arm, re-enforced frame, D&D carbon fiber canisister on a Kerker hearder, steering dampner, Fox shock, braided stainless brake lines, oil cooler, 17" GSXR rims ft/back. F2 rear section, plus all the usual stuff like rear set, 1mm over stainless valves and polish and porting on the head and knife edged and worked crank, lightened flywheel, no charging system, solid motor mounts etc.

Is your home track a power track or a handleing track? ie build motor or suspension 1st..

I would think the ZX-4 swing arm would work, mine has a early Ninja 600 swingarm on it

·
Registered
53 Posts
The ZX-6E model swingarm is a popular one. I have an FZR600 swingarm, but an aluminum FZR400 wold be preferable.
I have a 99-02 R6 front end that works really well. Carburetors are a must. The Keihin CR Special 35mm work best unless you do some serious engine work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to that there is a bit Scots in you Wolf66,i could write in Scots but it wid be awfy hard fur yi tae
understand,we dont all talk like Shriek.I'll use a wee bit Scots.Your bike sounds braw,East Fortune is built on an old WW2 airfield and is quite flat has a mix of two fast saections -1 is a long back straight and the other is a series of corners that lead on to the old start/finish which is flat out before going down a gear for the esses then a 2nd gear hairpin,short straight then a 2nd gear chicane the the start/finish and a 90 degree 4th gear bend.I am looking for grunt oot corners and a bit top end,what tyres dae yi use?The suns oot fur the 1st time in a while going up the shed tae take the bike tae bits and see wat I kin dae.
Cheers the noo Mr broon #88

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I suppose it all depends on what class you intend on running in, and what rules you have limited what you can do to your bike. In AFM they have classes that aim to keep the cost down so most modifications are not allowed, then they have open classes which the sky is the limit.

My bike has 03 R6 front forks, a gsx-r Rear swingarm, home made pipes with a random car thrown on, a custom subframe, a re-worked stock wire harnes cut down the only what is needed, solid motormounts, a stock engine, and various other custom one off mods the previous owner did.

In the future I plan on having the engine rebuilt and balanced, a better made pipe put on, and hopefully a better made fairing stay. Right now it has a stay off of a SV650 holding on a 916 fairing, and doing it rather poorly I might add. But It sure does look nice. If I had pictures I would post them =<

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
mr broon said:
what tyres dae yi use?
Well in 6 years of racing i tried most of em and ended up liking Metzler the most, though I will also run the tire with the most contingency money up for grabs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hello jrocket what model of gsxr swinger do you use and what wheel size do you run?Do you use an offset front sprocket?I've not got tons of money as I race in another class but getting the bike for nothing helped and I'm pretty handy at making things fit.Any advice is much appreciated.
cheers the noo Mr Brown #88

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The rear swingarm was put on by the previous owner, I am not sure what he did to get the parts to fit. It is a 1993 GSX-R rear swingarm, wheel, and brake. The both sprokets are stock, front from EX500, rear from GSX-R. If my digital camera was working I would send you a picture of how he put it together.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Jrocket said:
The rear swingarm was put on by the previous owner, I am not sure what he did to get the parts to fit. It is a 1993 GSX-R rear swingarm, wheel, and brake. The both sprokets are stock, front from EX500, rear from GSX-R. If my digital camera was working I would send you a picture of how he put it together.
I think he means stock with a 520 conversion as the stock chain was bigger, at least on my GSXR rim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts