Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying a used '87 EX 500. Is there anything in particular I should look for when I inspect and test it (or pre-'94 EX 500s in general)? I don't have much experience working on motorcycles myself, so any tips, however obvious they may seem, are appreciated.

Cheers and have a happy new year!

Colin B.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
R

·
0 Posts
Let us know how it goes, and don't be afraid to revive an old thread if you have any questions about something. We're all very friendly :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
How has the bike been treated? Has it been running recently or sitting around for years? Any other history?

I just picked up an '89 that had been garaged for six years. Cleaned the carbs, flushed the tank a few times, rebuilt the petcock, put a new battery in, changed plugs, oil and brake fluid, and just picked up a new chain. She runs fine (currently without an airbox) and once I get the chain installed I'm looking forward to seeing how well she does on the street. It's tough to really tune it without getting it out on the road a bit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you can, always have a knowledgable buddy go with you. I know those are in short supply when you are getting your first bike, but if you do have any friends that ride, have them tag along, they have a clearer head than you when inspectign the bike since they are not the ones putting down the grand and a half and riding it away.

R

·
0 Posts
It's covered in the other threads, but one of the best things I've read is make sure the bike is cold when you arrive - tell him specifically, do not run the bike that day. See how the bike starts dead cold, so you can see if there are starter issues, fuel flow isuses, etc....

Otherwise, check out those above threads, and let us know what happens...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey, hows everyone doing? I'm new to the site but would like to add a comment about buying an EX 500. I currently am without a bike, but have chose a ZZR 600 as my soon to be new ride. My wife has chosen an EX 500. she did not make this choice without some help, I used to own an EX500. I had a 1990 model(black with a red stripe) and I loved that thing.I owned it for 3 years and had nothing but great times on it. You also need to know that I rode it aggressively, and I never had to do any unusual maintenance to it! I used silkolene racing oil in it, changed the stock tires to dunlops after the first year and just rode! I would recommend the bike to anyone! DO NOT BUY A SUCKZUKI!!!!!!! if you are really worried about getting board buy a Ninja 650, that would be all the bike you'll ever need!!!!!! Sorry for going on and on, happy to be a member!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts