Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I don't know what's wrong with the dealers and motorcycle stores in Toronto Area. All I ask them is that I need 120/65 17 for my front and 150/60 17 for Rear for my EX500. Then they start asking me what year is the bike, make and model and then they come back and tell me that these tires would not fit an Ex500.

I tell them I know what the stock tire size is i.e. 110x70 17 and 130x70 17 all I'm asking is do you have the tires I'm asking and for how much. Then most of them reply that I would not suggest putting larger tires on your Ex500.

I mean come on all i wanna do is buy the freakin tires. Does anyone from Canada or Toronto area know any good motorcycle tire stores or even online (good price) who can sell me tires.

Also a good place to buy rear rotor for cheap. I just bought the Ex500 and need to get my bike safetied and the mechanic is saying it needs rear rotor and pads.

Thanks,

Nav.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Re: Buying Tires in Toronto (GTA)

Im from the us but tell you what I will do abit of research get you a link by the end of the day.

R

·
0 Posts
Zdeno's Cycle in Kitchener offers 20 per cent (or something like that, maybe it's 30 per cent) off the MSRP list price. Got my brand new Pilot Activ for like 130 bucks. I 'think' that is a good price.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You can call Johnny at Bent Bikes (Mississauga) at 905 273 3717 on Friday morning (He is only there on Fri and Sat.)and pick them up an hour later. He'll have to go the supplier just around the corner for those sizes.
He can get you brake pads at the same time if you wish.
If you want a rotor that would have to come from Parts Canada, you can have it next Fri. I suggest you try the bike breakers (http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1045 near the bottom) first.

Anything else?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Vaughan_Ex500 said:
Also a good place to buy rear rotor for cheap.
Under normal usage these should be good for the life of the bike..

Check the For Sale section here ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Everyone,

First of all thank you all who have replied. I had never seen a forum where the posts get so much attention and everyone is willing to help.

I went to Cycle World in Toronto today to pick up a switch for the kick stand (mine is missing, previous owner thought its not important, but apprently it is to get safetied) and I asked the guys about the tires and they told me that there are no Radials available for my bike. No one make radials for 3 inch wide rims, which was very surprising to me. As I read so many posts about the tires on this site and was very positive that I can get Radial tires for my 1995 EX500.

Can someone shed a little light on this i.e. if the radials are available for Ex500 and which manufactures and what sizes.

Also I saw a very cheap front tire in the store called Street Shark or something on sale for $39.00 (110/70 17) , Can i use that tire just to pass safety and ride with it until I find a good Radial setup. Does anyone know the quality of this tire, would it skid on a turn or how bad is it riding in rain with this tire.

Once again Thank You all who replied and read the thread.

Nav

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey Nav, when I called around for tires I got the same response from all the dealers, that the 140/70/17 was not recommended etc.. but the prices they were giving me were a little high so I bought a set of Pirelli Sport Deemons (140/70/17, 110/70/17) from ronayers.com (in the US) and saved around $100. Surprisingly they arrived at my house (Ottawa) in 5 business days, I was truly impressed. I wouldn't bother buying something cheap because you'll still have to go through the trouble and $$$ to get them installed.

Good Luck

J.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Yassoon,

Is this what you paid. How much was the shipping. This from ronayers.com.

1342900 SPORT DEMON 110/70H17 1 $92.43

1403900 SPORT DEMON 140/70H17 1 $110.64

Subtotal $203.07
Standard Shipping $20.00
Total $223.07

·
Registered
230 Posts
One of the most popular supersport radials used on the EX500 is the Michelin Pilot Power and it comes in a 110/70/17 front size which has a preferred rim width of 3.0" so your dealer is not up to date on this matter. The 150/60/17 is the rear supersport radial used on the EX500 and is also available in Pilot Powers and many other brands as well. It is run on the standard 3.5" rear rims of the EX500 and GS500 by many users.

The new bias ply tires like the Actives and Demons mentioned above and also the Lasertecs are very good tires and are probably all better than any bias tires made at the time your 95 EX was made.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the same problem getting my tires. I got my front from Dennis Kirk Pirelly Super Corsa SC2 and the rear from MAWonline Pirelly Super Corsa SC2.

Front 110/70-17 - 75.18$ CDN
Rear 150/60-17 - 141.32$ CDN

The prices are with shipping included.
Duties, 34.92 for both tires.

I have been buying my tires from the States for 7 years now.

Motorace has Michelin Races for 130 a set.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Vaughan_Ex500 said:
Hi Yassoon,

Is this what you paid. How much was the shipping. This from ronayers.com.

1342900 SPORT DEMON 110/70H17 1 $92.43

1403900 SPORT DEMON 140/70H17 1 $110.64

Subtotal $203.07
Standard Shipping $20.00
Total $223.07

Yeah I think that's around what I paid. I shopped around quite a bit and found ronayers to have the best prices. Let us know how it works out for you...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again for Everyone that replied to my post.

I guess for now I will buy the cheap Shark Street to get the bike safetied and run it until i find a good deal on tires.

Nav

·
Registered
242 Posts
Petes superbike!!!!

I'm in toronto and that's where I got them from. he can ship it to your house, or to a mechanic. heritage auto installed mine for $40.

even with shipping pete's is pretty cheap. it's in montreal but I found with shipping it was cheaper than any of the larger shops. he buys in bulk, the little guys don't.
if you're new, I'd suggest bt-45's. the battalax by bridgestone. I had pirellis before and the bridgestone grip much better, especially in rain so they seem all around great for a new rider. my confidence level went up with the front alone.
They're not SUPER COOL RACE TIRES, so they're cheaper.

there needs to be an ex500 toronto day. there's 4 here in high park area (5 block radius) that I know of and seeing how canada has fewer bike riders than the USA that seems pretty great.

also,... zdeno's is GREAT for parts or just for wandering in and seeing a sea of 700 scrapped bikes., but so is ebay. order a bunch of parts, wait a week, save a fortune.
my ex needed parts as well and I just ordered things. so many $5 deals

1 - 15 of 15 Posts