Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Buying used EX500: what to look for?

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  PontiacJack 
#1 ·
I'll be looking over a 2005 Ninja 500 today/this weekend.
It was originally sold in Missouri but had a crunch that damaged the right side of the fairing.

I'm buying from a fellow who bought it in Iowa (Salvage title?) & just had it inspected & titled in Nebraska.

He says it's in great shape mechanically, just needs the fairing work.
WHat should I look for?

Cold start, warm up, exhaust clues, unusual sounds or hesitations... etc?

#2 ·
Fairngs are very expensive. So if you plan to replace it look up prices first.

Try to get a test ride first. Make sure it goes striat down the road. Sometimes crashes can tweek a few things to make it wobble.

Ask to see recipts of any maintinance too.

#3 ·
Thanks. I'm wondering if there's any common problems that Ninja 500's have that I should watch for?

I'll definitely test ride it. Will ask my brother in law to test it too.
And after warm-up will have him drive it towards & away from me, while I'm looking for smoke, crooked steering, etc, funny sounds.

I did check out fairing $$... from $700- painted from factory, to $200- unpainted w/o holes.
Good idea.

G
#4 ·
The big one is specifically tell this guy to no warm up the bike before you get there, if you haven't already. If you ask and it's still warm, come back the next day. If the bike has some problems that make a cold start hard, you're not going to know then. I've read that tip on many sites and it's a good one.

Otherwise, check out the basics like good tires, chain in good shape, ask how often he changed oil, look for modifications, ask why they're selling the bike. Leaks from the oil pan, rad, etc.

It's a 2005, so it shouldn't have any major maintenance done to it yet likes brakes or big fluid changes unless it's really high mileage.

Put the bike on the center stand, check out how the tires spin.

Check all the electrics like high/low beams, signals, brakes.

This website below has plenty of tips.
http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

EX specific, I can't really think of any problems. Once you have the bike though, there will be plenty of suggestions on how to improve it to take away annoying things that shouldn't deter one from owning the bike.

#6 ·
#8 ·
while you're at it, check the oil that is in it, see if its between the two marks on the sight glass,

feel the throttle and clutch to see if they stick, or bind at all. while you're at it, feel the brakes to see if they feel spongy, like there may be air in the lines.

#9 ·
Good ideas all.

I bought the bike. It's 2nd owner was a 350 lb guy in St Louis who got it from a dealer (consignment) at 800 miles in April '06. 2000 miles later, mid September, he ran it into a truck. (His license registration application was under the seat, so I called him.) He's still on crutches. Progressive insurance said they'd sell it back to him for $1300, but he wanted a bigger bike... go figure.

The Nebraskan that had it on eBay runs his own trucking business & finds, repairs & resales such bikes as a hobby & for side $$. The engine started up cold from 35 degrees, warmed up properly, drove & shifted fine. His wife just had their 2nd baby, & sold me the bike as he got it... cosmetically wounded, $1600.

Brake lever is bent downward 1/2" & is resistant to bending back (I don't want to break it).
The 2nd owner had drilled holes next to the exhaust outlets for more sound. (not pleasant sound)
The fairing is missing the right side panel, & that edge of the gas tank is scraped up (see pic).
The chain guard was not attached & the mirrors were loose, each missing a nut.

This topic may still be useful for other newcomers who may be shopping for a used bike.
So keep the ideas coming.

#11 ·
bobthebiker said:
thats not too bad looking. from what I can see, its mostly cosmetic, the front fairing is gonna cost the most out of all the parts to replace though.
In another topic some members have offered suggestions. theres a blank fairing available for just over $200 unprimed, unpainted, undrilled... otherwise pay it to the dealer for a painted version, or find a 3rd party.

#12 ·
From time to time you can fine slightly used fairings on eBay that go for US$250-400... sometimes a patch of rash is worth a $100 discount. I think it is a deal. I was also looking to rebuild an ex250 I bought from a really shift(shady) used bike shop in Sacramento, (that's another story) and found a used fairing at a motorcycle salvage shop (in Hayward) for $275 with a patch of rash the size of a 1/2 dollar. I presume many cycle salvage shops might have something that would work for your 500 and more than fair price. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.