Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guy what new,I made good progress on my track bike project, I will give you some pictures :smile2:

With this implantation I have a mass distribution of 56% at the front and 44% at the rear without driver.

But I
struggle to find a place for the radiator with the actual exhaust. The max height is 150/160mm (eyelet to exhaust) and 250/260mm width max.:crying:

The future, I have to find a accelerator and some coils, make the electric wiring and cooling system...

By by:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm glad your making progress and that YOU are happy with it.

And that's all I'm going to say! :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
14,495 Posts
A flyweight, worthy frame for your project. Do you have possession of and intend using the original "slab side" body panels?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Nice. I wanted a Mito so bad when I was 16.

It was (at that time) the fastest bike a 16 year old could legally ride on the road in Ireland.

125cc and a top speed in excess of 110mph.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome project! What does it weigh?
The weight 133kg (292.6lbs) without exhaust, 56% on front and 44% on rear.

With the driver (me :grin2:) total 207kg (455,4 lbs) 47% on front and 53% on rear.

A good power to weight ratio in perspective.:wink2:

By

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
A flyweight, worthy frame for your project. Do you have possession of and intend using the original "slab side" body panels?

Yes, image response :grin2::grin2::grin2:
But I have some modification to adapt the slab side, I have just stalled one.:wink2:

By by

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
The weight 133kg (292.6lbs) without exhaust, 56% on front and 44% on rear.

With the driver (me :grin2:) total 207kg (455,4 lbs) 47% on front and 53% on rear.

A good power to weight ratio in perspective.:wink2:

By
C'est incroyable! Bon travail!

That's about 60kg lighter than stock EX500! Can't wait to see it on track, should really handle well. And no wet-noodle frame to worry about! :grin2:

·
Registered
653 Posts
That is awesome! I have only seen RZ-350 motors mounted in the Mito frame, but have always thought the EX500 was a 4 stroke "clone" of the RZ... light weight, liquid cooled, parallel twin with similar performance (at least stock). Keep up the good work, the EX motor deserves such a frame! How is clearance for the carbs?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi There, Just looking at your project. Have you actually taken the tops off the forks and completely compressed the forks? It looks tight, Like the front wheel may hit the header pipes, better to find out before you ride it on the track. also do the same for the radiator fit as even when you change the front end on a standard ex you run into the same problem. I got around this on my ex by curving the radiator.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Such a handling improvement! As to radiators, how about twin/dual dirt bike radiators?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi There, Just looking at your project. Have you actually taken the tops off the forks and completely compressed the forks? It looks tight, Like the front wheel may hit the header pipes, better to find out before you ride it on the track. also do the same for the radiator fit as even when you change the front end on a standard ex you run into the same problem. I got around this on my ex by curving the radiator.

Yes, a curve radiator is the solution. I will used mito's radiator and I would be obliged to modified the carenage, thing I id no want to do.:crying:

Best regards

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is awesome! I have only seen RZ-350 motors mounted in the Mito frame, but have always thought the EX500 was a 4 stroke "clone" of the RZ... light weight, liquid cooled, parallel twin with similar performance (at least stock). Keep up the good work, the EX motor deserves such a frame! How is clearance for the carbs?

To day the carbs clearance is to short for the air filter but this is a track bike. I thing some many possibility is possible in future. I used silicone pipe to bring closer the carbs to the head cylinder. It's not perfect because I have some picks inside.

In the future, I can tilt up or down (photo 2 and 3) the carbs with a long silicone pipe to installed a air filter.

Maybe:wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
How about two radiators? One on each side of the slab side? In the opening where hot air from the Mito radiators exited. You will probably need cooling fans for that. But, no wheel clearance problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How about two radiators? One on each side of the slab side? In the opening where hot air from the Mito radiators exited. You will probably need cooling fans for that. But, no wheel clearance problems.

I thing it's not a good idea with the width carenage in the bottom but the radiator on the sides why not.:wink2:

By by

Attachments

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
The VTR and RC51 Hondas had some cooling problems because of the 'flat to the side" radiators. You would need a fan for each radiator. Check out some dirt bike radiators and you may find a small one for each side.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
One last thought: A rear radiator lying flat at the top of the tail section, with a fan beneath blowing upwards. Silicone hoses, or even crazier yet: the coolant flowing through the frame tubes from engine to radiator and back. That location "might" be an area of low pressure which would draw the air through it? Ideas are free. Making them work...not so much.

Just brainstorming here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow tres impressionnant!

Please keep us posted on your progress! Especially how you ll handle the radiator and the airbox ;-)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts