Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These tubes have been buggin me for a while. What the hell are they for!?

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
They are the vapor recovery system piping for a CA model . they connect the tank to a charcoal canister and a vapor pump. There should be hoses connection those pipes to the front of the tank.

FOG

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think one of the things the tubes are for is to prevent vacuum from deforming your tank.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
I told you whatthey are there are for , you judge the importance. you will leak fuel out of the un plugged tank nipples. if you cap them both your tank won't vent and you'll hav efuel starvation.

FOG

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the tank has been filled up plenty of times and haven't seen or smelled gas. so i guess its not that important. was just wondering what they were for, thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
You may have a 49 state tank (w/out th nipples) or someone already plugged them.

FOG

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a cali tank, someone gutted all my smog/fuel emmisions stuff, and the bike leaked fuel forward under hard breaking, i was going to make a vent and all that, but then just ended up sticking a hose on that and plugging a hose, with a razor blade underneath my seat incase the bike ever stopped running due to preasure from it being plugged, never happened,still plugged.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
AntiAndy said:
I have a cali tank, someone gutted all my smog/fuel emmisions stuff, and the bike leaked fuel forward under hard breaking, i was going to make a vent and all that, but then just ended up sticking a hose on that and plugging a hose, with a razor blade underneath my seat incase the bike ever stopped running due to preasure from it being plugged, never happened,still plugged.
You probably have a leaky tank cap.

FOG

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to bring this from the dead.

While pulling the tank from my bike I saw these two lines coming from the tank to the evap canister. I made a mental note as to which lines went where, and shortly after pulling the lines, forgot where I placed that mental note. :D

So I've got two lines coming from the bottom of the front side of the tank. This is for reference a CA model. One is marked with a red dot, one with a blue dot. From the bottom of the tank looking topside, the red dot is on the right side, and the blue is on the left side. But I see that the picture above shows a red dot on the left side of the actual bike (not the tank). Is this the correct orientation? Do I need to actually cross-over the lines from the tank to the bike? Or are they just straight through without the cross-over?

I don't want to bring up the whole are they needed or not debate. I just want to know the orientation. I know one line goes to the bottom of the evap canister, and one to the top. Just not sure which is which.

Much thanks. :)

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
It don't matter much , Both are open to the air inside the tank.

FOG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts