Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check to see if the slides are rising. See if you have a damaged or leaking Diaphram. Clean the insides of the Spark plug boots and renew the wire connections.

FOG
I'd like to follow his instructions, but I'm not sure where to start.

- What are the slides and how do I check if they are rising?
- What is the diaphragm and how do I check if its damaged or leaking?
- What does he mean by "renew the wire connections"?

And all this is in regards to the problem where my bike is putting out very little power at hard or WOT acceleration.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I've got to admin I've never disassembled my carbs so I'll help you with the last one :)

there's a plug at the end of your spark plug wires. The end connector unscrew from the wire. Clean the plug boots, cut the tip of the wire (renew it) to remove any oxidation. rescrew the cleaned plug boot on your 'new' wire.

Getting new wires does the same but cost more ;)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Frog said:
I've got to admin I've never disassembled my carbs so I'll help you with the last one :)

there's a plug at the end of your spark plug wires. The end connector unscrew from the wire. Clean the plug boots, cut the tip of the wire (renew it) to remove any oxidation. rescrew the cleaned plug boot on your 'new' wire.

Getting new wires does the same but cost more ;)
^ 1/4" I believe FOG said.

I believe the slides and the diaphragm are attached. The diaphragm is a piece of rubber and it should have a spring on it. opening the butterfly valve will raise the diaphragm valve. check it for free movement and inspect the rubber.

·
Registered
63 Posts
To check to see if your slides are rising, you need to have the back end of your carbs free. You need to remove the tubes that run from the air box. Once you do, you should see just the metal hole on the end of the carb they attach to. Now, look into the whole. 1/2 way in you will see a round piston shaped thing. This is your slide. Now, keep looking in the hole, and turn your throttle all the way to Wide open. If your slide moves, that eliminates one potential problem. You need to do this to both carbs. If they don't, find out why.

·
Registered
19,363 Posts
You forgot to mention , With the engine running.

FOG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts