Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live within minutes of the border by Port Huron and Sarnia, in MI. I like Canada better, so is there anything i should know when going over there? Like crossing the border rules, or filling up.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I haven't been across the border since the ferry on Lake Ontario stopped running. I'd like to hear the answer as well. What do we need to know before crossing the border on the bike? ???

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just carry the documentation you normally carry and come on over. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don't ride like a hooligan....Don't go out of your way, to be a wise-ass to police....Comply with, and understand local driving laws before embarking out.

In short? Basic stuff. We're really not much different.

Whether you need it or not, I would, however, carry your passport, along with a second piece of photo I.D. with you at all times.

R

·
0 Posts
That's a No on riding in carpooling lanes. There are people trying to change that, but nope. Pretty stupid that we can't.

Canada is a mini-United States, only with free health care and better beer. Oh, and most of us are very polite :) lol

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Don't try to lane split in Quebec or you'll end up trying the medical services..

Peoples have a nasty habit of trying to push you off the road when that happens...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Royson said:
Canada is a mini-United States, only with free health care and better beer. Oh, and most of us are very polite :) lol
I'm not so sure I'd call health care free in Canada...when you consider that the average Canadian family sees nearly 50% of there income going to the government. :eek: (it seems the old adage is true in that nothing in life is free)

And speaking of better beer...how much do you pay in taxes on that beer? It looks like around 51% of the purchase price goes to taxes! :eek:

I don't mean any harm (I think Canada is great!) just pointing out a couple of things. Ya you know eh!? ;D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Royson said:
All true but your beer is too damn expensive.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sven Hoek said:
the average Canadian family sees nearly 50% of there income going to the government. :eek: (it seems the old adage is true in that nothing in life is free)
That is totally true. Talk about a land of over-taxation. A guy a while back told me that his Canadian friend last year made close to $45,000. Guess how much he took home? $22,000. True story.

I'm not criticizing that. Actually the upside of that outweighs the downside. For example: Comparing the trade deficit of the US with that of Canada is trying to compare the power of Hayabusa with that of EX500. It's better to even not discuss it.:)

R

·
0 Posts
Sven Hoek said:
Royson said:
I'm not so sure I'd call health care free in Canada...when you consider that the average Canadian family sees nearly 50% of there income going to the government. :eek: (it seems the old adage is true in that nothing in life is free)

And speaking of better beer...how much do you pay in taxes on that beer? It looks like around 51% of the purchase price goes to taxes! :eek:

I don't mean any harm (I think Canada is great!) just pointing out a couple of things. Ya you know eh!? ;D
True I suppose. Oh well, I'd rather be taxed and have a solid social support system for when I need it.

And our beer is terrific! It's worth every penny :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
yeah, darn taxes...

I end up being taxed 52% of my income And then there's that 14% tax I pay on everything that I buy... TPS (federal, tax on product and services) and TVQ (tax on item sold* in Quebec, *sold = vente)

Welcome to the land of the broke and happy :p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not to kind of combine threads but that whole gov't provided health care is one of the reasons that laws like that one get passed. It's all those idiots doing stupid things on the street that the gov't has to front the bill for. When you look at it like that it was only a matter of time.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Shiner TX is 80 miles from Austin... I think I know where my next road trip is going. ;D
(Don't worry guys, I'll only have one beer)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Don't you need a carnet to get into canada with a bike?

Carnet is basically a down payment that you leave (you can get it through AAA) usually 10% of the bikes value, so if you bring the bike into the country and try to sell it you loose the money. I had to get one to ride from burma into tailand a few years ago even though i was on a rented enfield.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Royson said:
That's a No on riding in carpooling lanes. There are people trying to change that, but nope. Pretty stupid that we can't.

Unless you are bleeding out of every orafice of your body, and are laying sprawled out in the ambulance bay, you'll be waiting on average 4-8 hours (or MORE), for that "free health care".

Sure. We have better ale. But it's gettting to the point, where they'll tax you out of your home to afford it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone else know about the carnet, id like to know more about that. It says I bought my bike for $540 on the title, but i know otherwise. would i have to pay $54 then.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts