Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd throw this out to the forum as maybe someone else has run in to it, but these are new ones for me: just picked up a 2001 Ninja 500 with 9400 miles on it. This is my 3rd Ninja/EX500, so I'm not a novice but not an expert either. First issue: headlight doesn't work, at all. Check the fuses, all good. Pull the front fairing, pull the headlight, put it on the test bench, works fine. Get out my circuit tester, no power at the fuse. ?? Ran my circuit tester from positive on the battery all the way down to the headlight connector, and test all 3 connections. One of them gives a very weak barely there light, one of them "buzzes" back at the battery, and one seems fine. All the other fuses have power, not the headlight fuse. I'm stumped. Electrical issues are my weakest point when working on bikes, and I'm at a loss. Decide to pull the fuel tank to see if there's anything obvious. Just a few days earlier I took the bike to the gas station (20 miles round trip) to get fresh gas in it and top if off for winter, so I know it's got fuel and I know it flows. Before pulling the tank, I turn the petcock to off, I disconnect the vacuum line and the line to the carbs, connect a hose to the outlet that went to the carbs, put the other end of the hose in to a 5 gallon jug, turn the petcock and...nothing. Zip, not even a dribble. Gas cap was open, hose was not plugged, what the heck? Anyone have any ideas? It's a PITA putting the tank back on when it's full. Doable, but not fun. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,197 Posts
Vacuum has to be applied to the petcock for it to operate. The bike needs to be running for the headlight to work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts