Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am i missing something?

i assume its just the phillips screw on the end. i bought some new grips and would like to install them.
i think i smoked a (cheap) electric drill and i broke a craftsman flat screwdriver trying to torque these things off.

ive tried a phillips screwdriver also and cant get it to budge. probably already started stripping the screw on one side :'(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hehehe, I busted a impact screw driver trying to remove those phillip screws. I think the factory used high strength lok-tie. I ended up drilling them out and replaced them with hex bolts.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The screws are held on with red loctite. Heat is the answer, not brute force. Use a propane torch set low and blue and with careful aim starting from a foot away bring it to the centre of the screw. Hold perfectly still on the screw for about two minutes, then the screw will back out easily. Do it carefully and you won't even blister the paint on the bar-end and the screws won't be stripped in the least.I did it last weekend and it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
2dogs said:
The screws are held on with red loctite. Heat is the answer, not brute force. Use a butane torch set low and blue and with careful aim starting from a foot away bring it to the centre of the screw. Hold perfectly still on the screw for about two minutes, then the screw will back out easily. Do it carefully and you won't even blister the paint on the bar-end and the screws won't be stripped in the least.I did it last weekend and it worked like a charm.
sounds like it was a POC . how are ya likin' the new ends ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
2dogs said:
The screws are held on with red loctite. Heat is the answer, not brute force. Use a butane torch set low and blue and with careful aim starting from a foot away bring it to the centre of the screw. Hold perfectly still on the screw for about two minutes, then the screw will back out easily. Do it carefully and you won't even blister the paint on the bar-end and the screws won't be stripped in the least.I did it last weekend and it worked like a charm.
sounds like it was a POC . how are ya likin' the new ends ?
I like them! You have positive feedback as a "trader" on this one for sure. ;)
I'm on the lookout for a slightly longer set of grips to close the gap between the bar end and stock grip.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2dogs said:
The screws are held on with red loctite. Heat is the answer, not brute force. Use a propane torch set low and blue and with careful aim starting from a foot away bring it to the centre of the screw. Hold perfectly still on the screw for about two minutes, then the screw will back out easily. Do it carefully and you won't even blister the paint on the bar-end and the screws won't be stripped in the least.I did it last weekend and it worked like a charm.
thanks for the tip
i had heard heat would weaken loctite before but had never needed it

i used a 500w lamp as my heat source ;D

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're worried about bringing a torch that close to your grips, you might try a heavy-duty soldering iron. Or try heating a bolt or piece of rod with the torch, and then apply that to the bar-end screw.

Mine were awful, too, and I ended up having to drill one. I now have Manic Salamander ends with allen bolts.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Welcome and get us picts whateverwhatever ;D

·
Registered
97 Posts
2dogs said:
You da man!!! I went out and bought a $15 blow torch tonight and tried your method out, it took 1.5 mins for each side and the screws came out beautifully! Plus no blistering of paint or damaging the grips. Nice trick 8) btw I installed a set of HVMP long bar ends, I'm gonna test them out tomorrow morning.
thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sojon,Yassoon

Yeah its the way to tackle that job. Glad it worked for you.

Props to Lucky 13 for the inspiration.

2dogs

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got my bar ends off and put on the
typical 3" bar end mirrors found on ebay... I heated mine up
for about a minute give or take the grip catching
on fire... I used a typical propane bottle but a mapp
gas head and it made the flame un-uniform... A small butane
torch would have probably worked best...

FYI When it came off, mine bounced and my first instinct
was to grab the bar end... Wow pretty hot...

I don't know how much difference no weights on the end will make..

I may install the bar end back on and then the mirror on the end of it.

Will require a longer screw...

Here the pics of the mirrors.
..[/color]

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have never tried bar end mirrors. I imagine the view would be decent but depending on the quality of mirror I guess would or is there any problems with fuzziness or distoted views/
Rod

·
Registered
376 Posts
What bolts (thred, size,pitch) are used on the factory bar ends? I ordered a set of bars and ends, but didnt want to pay $5 per screw. I need to pick up the proper bolt to install these. The gen1's dont have bar ends.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts