Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Super dumb question . I think i messed up major when it comes to putting the carb lines and fuel lines back together. And the petcock i bought. The one i bought only has a line for the fuel nothing else. Should i have bought the one with a line for fuel and vacuum I believe. I hooked up the gas tank breather to carb and didnt run it down below the bike like a dumbass 🤦‍♂️ Do you have a ex500? Can you tell me or show me a picture of where the carb hoses and gas tank hoses go so i can make sure i hooked everything up right. I know im a noob and your very well experienced. I have muchhhhh to learn. I should have took pictures beforehand. This could be also whats causing my bike to not start in the first place 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I will still charge battery and do all the other checks mentioned in the thread. But i gottttta make sure this hoses / lines are all routed correctly 😅

the pictures below explain what i mean about the petcock

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the petcock is fine you just have to remember to shut it off EVERYTIME you stop the bike. I have 2 EX's and neither of them have a vacuum operated one. I don't have any photos of the carb set up but it's simple enough.
on the front of the carbs (facing the engine) you have two joining rails the btm one (metal) is the fuel line from the tank goes straight to the rail from the petcock. the top one (plastic) is the carb vent leave this open you do not need a pipe on it just make it point downwards and leave it alone. the pipe coming out of the back of the tank is NOT a breather pipe but a water drain from the filler cap just tuck this down the back of the airbox somewhere.
one other thing because you have deleted the vacuum line from the petcock the little vacuum ports (one on each carb) have to be capped off to prevent vac loss in the carbs. that it's it. quite straight forwards.

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
You may want to show us some pictures of your bike, so we know it is not a CA modal. Sometimes they show up in Texas.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
91 Posts
I had the one you bought, and put it on a first Gen bike I had for a very long time, and it eventually began to leak around the rotation for the lever to turn on/off (took about 2 years of daily driving). You get what you pay for in this case.

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
Carb connections for the stock North American modal. Any modifications adjust accordingly.
20200121_064806_LI.jpg

1. Fuel line to petcock
2. Vacuum line to petcock
3. Vacuum line to PAIR valve
4. Vent line to atmosphere

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar issue trying to replace after market petcock with an original.
First off bought one similar to what you show but found the outlets a bit small also the lever wouldn't go to reserve as it hit the tank.
Bought a used original off ebay but found out the plastic space was missing so awaiting a replacement. In the meantime I bought a new oem petcock from Holland which I have fitted slight leak from the bolts but I made some rubber washers which has resolved the problem. All just in the time for the snow.
Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carb connections for the stock North American modal. Any modifications adjust accordingly.
View attachment 53594
1. Fuel line to petcock
2. Vacuum line to petcock
3. Vacuum line to PAIR valve
4. Vent line to atmosphere
For number 2 and number 3 can i have those capped off since the petcock I have has only one outlet line like the picture Im showing below and I did the pair removal delete like the picture I showed below as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
What about the tank? Do you know if you have a CA modal? Or a 49 state modal?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For number 2 and number 3 can i have those capped off since the petcock I have has only one outlet line like the picture Im showing below and I did the pair removal delete like the picture I showed below as well. Or do I need a petcock with a outlet for vacuum. Please examine pictures below for clarity on the question :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
portion from the previous OP thread "one other thing because you have deleted the vacuum line from the petcock the little vacuum ports (one on each carb) have to be capped off to prevent vac loss in the carbs. that it's it. quite straight forwards."

I think it's time I retired and took up Knitting or Golf.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
portion from the previous OP thread "one other thing because you have deleted the vacuum line from the petcock the little vacuum ports (one on each carb) have to be capped off to prevent vac loss in the carbs. that it's it. quite straight forwards."

Haha i hear golf isnt so bad

·
Registered
233 Posts
Really, I want a picture of Yorkie, set up in a rocking chair, just knitting away...yeah right!

Hey, seriously, I got an idea for everyone who's ever been frustrated trying to help someone start a motorcycle; ready?

ZOOM!

Seriously, set up a Zoom conference, and have the Poster walk the camera/phone around the motorcycle,
and talk about stuff; it's almost like being there. It goes like this: "no, that wire goes to the left,
that tube goes out the back; what's that wire doing unhooked, etc.

Real Timesaver!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Need to see the front underside of the tank.
And why does picture 4 show the Pair mechanism, I thought you had the close off plates?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Hey yorkie so i just got back to the bike. I had made the mistake of hooking up the gas tank breather port or whatever you call it with the carb breather port . I disconnected it realizing i had the hoses messed up . Ive attached pictures to this reply . If you can give me some professional input. Yesss i know im a beginner noob 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this is the tank off. That picture i got from a youtube video just to show what i was talking about . These are the most current pictures. Idk why i have gas coming out of vent line from carb 🤦‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really, I want a picture of Yorkie, set up in a rocking chair, just knitting away...yeah right!

Hey, seriously, I got an idea for everyone who's ever been frustrated trying to help someone start a motorcycle; ready?

ZOOM!

Seriously, set up a Zoom conference, and have the Poster walk the camera/phone around the motorcycle,
and talk about stuff; it's almost like being there. It goes like this: "no, that wire goes to the left,
that tube goes out the back; what's that wire doing unhooked, etc.

Real Timesaver!
Hahahah im down for a zoom conference. Anything to help a motorcycle apprentice right !? 😅

1 - 20 of 67 Posts