Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
That's cool how you do the notations! What program does that?
Too bad it's so dark, can you get some light set up?
And the picture of the front bottom of the tank went fuzzy; sorry, just checking to be sure, probably a 49 state tank.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That zoom was super helpful. Duo might be better, i couldnt hear you in my headset for some reason. but i have no problems(usually) with Duo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have gas coming from my carburetors vent/ breather tube. Id like to mention i made a dumb mistake and hooked up the gas tank breather line to the carb breather line so idk if that has something to do with it. I cranked the motorcycle many times with the gas tank breather hooked up the the carb vent line . Obviously the bike did not turn on. I beleive i have all tubes routed correctly i have attached pictures below to explain what I am talking about. Any suggestions on what is going on or what I should do? Rebuild carb? Drain somehow ? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
if fuel is coming out of that clear breather tube (the one I told you to take off and point it down) your carbs are flooding because the level is too high or the floats are stuck. think how high the level has to be to come out of it.
probably the reason you have fuel everywhere and the plugs are wet and it wont fire. rebuild carbs and reset the floats. absolutely. but have you got a spark yet and good voltage at the battery remember one thing at a time.

right. knit one pearl two knit two pearl one sorry trying to think of two things at once. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
You have gas leaking out the vent line because the fuel level in the carbs is too high.

Do you think it would be easier for you if I were to consolidate the 4? threads running on this subject? Just a thought, let me know what you think. (I know it would be easier for everyone else)

You shang-highed my pic in the first post. But that's alright, you can have it. (y)

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You have gas leaking out the vent line because the fuel level in the carbs is too high.

Do you think it would be easier for you if I were to consolidate the 4? threads running on this subject? Just a thought, let me know what you think. (I know it would be easier for everyone else)

You shang-highed my pic in the first post. But that's alright, you can have it. (y)
Haha yea we can consolidate it , sorry im new to forums ive never been apart of a forum before. Idk if its better to ask separately or bundle together man . So I took off the gas tank and took out spark plugs . I turned the flywheel manually to pump out any gas that got into the engine. I noticed on one spark plug hole it was half filled with gas before i took that spark plug out . When i turned the flywheel gas flew out the soark plug holes. I have the spark plugs out to let any excess gas dry up. I ordeded a rebuild kit for my carb as shown below . And my bike did try to turn over when the battery was fully charged. So the battery is good. Now i just need to resolve this fuel delivery issue I BELIEVE. I think when i rebuild the carb and have all the carb hoses and fuel hose and vent lines routed correctly with the battery fully charged and spark plug+coil tested THENNNN it may be worth a try to crank her on?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I took off the gas tank and took out spark plugs . I turned the flywheel manually to pump out any gas that got into the engine. I noticed on one spark plug hole it was half filled with gas before i took that spark plug out . When i turned the flywheel gas flew out the soark plug holes. I have the spark plugs out to let any excess gas dry up. I ordeded a rebuild kit for my carb as shown below . And my bike did try to turn over when the battery was fully charged. So the battery is good. Now i just need to resolve this fuel delivery issue I BELIEVE. I think when i rebuild the carb and have all the carb hoses and fuel hose and vent lines routed correctly with the battery fully charged and spark plug+coil tested THENNNN it may be worth a try to crank her on?

If your ever up for a friendly zoom or duo live meeting with some fellow motorcycle lovers would yah be down? If not thats ok. Just wondering

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So I took off the gas tank and took out spark plugs . I turned the flywheel manually to pump out any gas that got into the engine. I noticed on one spark plug hole it was half filled with gas before i took that spark plug out . When i turned the flywheel gas flew out the soark plug holes. I have the spark plugs out to let any excess gas dry up. I ordeded a rebuild kit for my carb as shown below . And my bike did try to turn over when the battery was fully charged. So the battery is good. Now i just need to resolve this fuel delivery issue I BELIEVE. I think when i rebuild the carb and have all the carb hoses and fuel hose and vent lines routed correctly with the battery fully charged and spark plug+coil tested THENNNN it may be worth a try to crank her on?

If your ever up for a friendly zoom or duo live meeting with some fellow motorcycle lovers would yah be down? If not thats ok. Just wondering

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
Haha yea we can consolidate it
OK, all your carb, petcock, and gas tank line threads now consolidated.

Let me start off by saying your on the right track by cleaning and rebuilding the carbs. Be advised, cleaning and rebuilding carbs is not as easy as most people would think. I would say on average it takes most people 3-5 times at a first attempt to do this well enough for the bike to run (much less to run at peak performance). You may want a professional to tackle this. I'm not familiar with that rebuild kit. Looks awfully cheap, I would be leery.

Also you probably have gas mixed in with your oil, due to the fuel level issue. You can probably take the oil cap off and smell this. You will need to change your oil a couple of times to get most of it out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
OK, all your carb, petcock, and gas tank line threads now consolidated.

Let me start off by saying your on the right track by cleaning and rebuilding the carbs. Be advised, cleaning and rebuilding carbs is not as easy as most people would think. I would say on average it takes most people 3-5 times at a first attempt to do this well enough for the bike to run (much less to run at peak performance). You may want a professional to tackle this. I'm not familiar with that rebuild kit. Looks awfully cheap, I would be leery.

Also you probably have gas mixed in with your oil, due to the fuel level issue. You can probably take the oil cap off and smell this. You will need to change your oil a couple of times to get most of it out.
your right it was a cheap kit i should have opted for one that has more replaceable parts like the one below.. I dont mind the many attempts because im here to learn thats why I dont want to take to a pro. Im really interested in diving into the world of motorcycle mechanics. I went to college for gasoline automotive so I understand the basics slightly. Motorcycles are a little different. I found a youtube video of a guy taking a carb apart completely and putting it back together completely step by step so im hoping this will help. PlusI have the haynes manual . This video link is below as well. For the air and gas mixture screws he says adjust 2.5 turns from closed . Ive seen other videos say the same thing. In experience is that ok?

CarbRebuild link

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
yeah well. I will tell you a little true story to brighten up your day. (and yes it is relevant) one Christmas my dad bought me a model steam locomotive that ran around a small circular track. super expensive back in the 50's, I was about 7 at the time.
come Christmas morning opening up the presents. my dad said do you want to set it up and get going. not just yet I will do it later I said. there was a reason for that. he didn't know I had already found it in the cellar back in October played with it had it apart and put it back together it no longer worked at all.
I avoided getting it out every time he asked there was no point. eventually he stopped asking.
I was 14 before I figured out how to make it work.
one day when he came home and saw it steaming away going round the track. he casually said "OH you eventually worked out how to fix it then !!!. see he knew my secret all along but never said anything knowing I would fix it eventually on my own.
there are two morals to this story. 1. don't take things apart if you have no idea how to put them back 2. if it's not broke don't fix it. anyone can learn to do anything it just might take longer than you think.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
yeah well. I will tell you a little true story to brighten up your day. (and yes it is relevant) one Christmas my dad bought me a model steam locomotive that ran around a small circular track. super expensive back in the 50's, I was about 7 at the time.
come Christmas morning opening up the presents. my dad said do you want to set it up and get going. not just yet I will do it later I said. there was a reason for that. he didn't know I had already found it in the cellar back in October played with it had it apart and put it back together it no longer worked at all.
I avoided getting it out every time he asked there was no point. eventually he stopped asking.
I was 14 before I figured out how to make it work.
one day when he came home and saw it steaming away going round the track. he casually said "OH you eventually worked out how to fix it then !!!. see he knew my secret all along but never said anything knowing I would fix it eventually on my own.
there are two morals to this story. 1. don't take things apart if you have no idea how to put them back 2. if it's not broke don't fix it. anyone can learn to do anything it just might take longer than you think.
Thanks I like that story. Definitely a motivator to not give up and keep on trying . Whatever it takes to learn it and get it running. Last time I cleaned the carbs I never drilled out the factory aluminum cap above the air and gas mixture screws , i didnt replace any seals or floats nothing . I just did what I thought was a decent cleaning at that time . Ive watched the video below atleast a dozen times and ill watch it while taking the carb out step by step in hopes that I too do it right.

is anyone up for a duo or zoom conference call one day?

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
Have you already cleaned these carbs before?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Have you already cleaned these carbs before?
Last time I cleaned the carbs I never drilled out the factory aluminum cap above the air and gas mixture screws , i didnt replace any seals or floats nothing . I just did what I thought was a decent cleaning at that time .

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
OMG. just spent half hour watching that jerk doing a typical made for U-tube look how easy it is to do half a job on your carbs video. with half the important bits missing or skipped over. waste of 30mins. if you follow that (ignoring their not 500 carbs) good luck. the mistakes are so numerous it's hard to list them all.
1. rubber parts in carb cleaner. no no no. carb cleaner destroys rubber parts.
2. he never split the carbs to replace the fuel rail O rings.
3. said. if those little washers on the pilot screws. don't fall out. ill leave them in. oh no you don't.
4. you do not test the float levels by "well they look level so there alright". you measure them first as a guide, but must wet test the levels afterwards.
5. reused all the consumables like float valves O rings ECT despite being soaked in carb cleaner
6. never attempted to make sure the small idle and air pathways were clear and clean.
7. never checked the operation of the slides or butterflies ECT.
8. all the screws were new. and came out easy (obviously been done already for the vid) but never mentioned the JIS driver to remove them there not a phillips or pozzi head. these bugger up the heads of stock screws.
9. fitted them to the bike and it ran perfectly without either balancing or adjusting the pilot screws. even the idle was correct, total fake. yes you can guess but that is all it is. a guess. there are many more omissions and mistakes I can't be bothered to list. if you follow that video good luck there will be follow up questions I can read them already.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Oh god ill keep in mind everything you said. Now im nervous for sure . The video shows carbs off of a 250 so is there any major differences from the carbs he showed vrs a 500s carbs ? And also if you dont mind me asking.. what do you think i should do? Take to a mechanic - keep trying for the learning experience- digest more until I fully understand the system? We all arent pros like you haha

21 - 40 of 67 Posts