Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
consider my services, some examples of my work shown within this thread.

the Carburetor Chronicles
Just curio
consider my services, some examples of my work shown within this thread.

the Carburetor Chronicles

some further background here

Custom Carb Service '21

(refurb consumable parts and spares for EX500 always stocked)
Is the disassembly and rebuild process of a 250 models carb identical to the 500 like the video shown above? If so how ? Just curious

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
first I'm no carb pro that's @ducatiman's territory. I am a trained auto electrician nothing else. all self taught just like you only with 60 years experience.
carbs are not easy (unless you know what your doing) the reason most have to do them multiple times to get them right.
the guy in vid (I think Gordon would agree) did a bodge job he took the tops and btms off dunked them in a can of dirty carb cleaner and reassembled them. nothing else. in other words took a good set of carbs off a running bike did a quick vid and put them back on the same good running bike. that's it. he never split them stripped them cleaned them properly using a ultrasonic cleaner. ensure all the pathways were clear. replace all the consumables. ECT. ECT. or even test them before fitting.

the tops and btms of the 250 carbs are roughly the same that's it. the 500 has no accelerator pump or extra pipe work.

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
there are both differences and similarities. Both made by Kawasaki OEM carb supplier Keihin.. 250 are 30mm, 500 is 34mm, jetting, slides and tuning components differ.
250 uses a decel valve, the 500 doesn't. Parts are generally NOT interchangeable, though some are.

The posted vid is amateur and was staged in the interest of convenience, leaving out a ton of stuff.

Urge OP here to look at a set of my refurbs, read the list of what is done to gain some insight.
link SOLD REFURBED carbset #85

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
first I'm no carb pro that's @ducatiman's territory. I am a trained auto electrician nothing else. all self taught just like you only with 60 years experience.
carbs are not easy (unless you know what your doing) the reason most have to do them multiple times to get them right.
the guy in vid (I think Gordon would agree) did a bodge job he took the tops and btms off dunked them in a can of dirty carb cleaner and reassembled them. nothing else. in other words took a good set of carbs off a running bike did a quick vid and put them back on the same good running bike. that's it. he never split them stripped them cleaned them properly using a ultrasonic cleaner. ensure all the pathways were clear. replace all the consumables. ECT. ECT. or even test them before fitting.

the tops and btms of the 250 carbs are roughly the same that's it. the 500 has no accelerator pump or extra pipe work.
Hey yorkie good news, so battery is fully charged. And I check spark plugs and coils. I took the spark plugs out and attached to coil then put against the engine to see if i see a visible spark. And i do 🙏🏼 Two beautiful sparks . So we got spark! This caeb rebuild will be my next thing to tackle 😳

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
good now you know the ignition side is ok. leave it alone for now. you still need to establish it fires under compression and you have at least 11volts at the battery while cranking but that can be left for now.

there are plenty of U-tube videos specifically on EX 500 carbs take a look before you start. some are good some not so good watch a lot and learn. also read the manual it has some good tips in it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
good now you know the ignition side is ok. leave it alone for now. you still need to establish it fires under compression and you have at least 11volts at the battery while cranking but that can be left for now.

there are plenty of U-tube videos specifically on EX 500 carbs take a look before you start. some are good some not so good watch a lot and learn. also read the manual it has some good tips in it.
Yes sir gotcha again thanks for the support! Yes yiur right many YouTubers clean there carbs differently some are more attention to detail then others . Will also refer to haynes manual 👍🏻

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Hey yorkie check out my make shift work bench ! Just waiting for my carb kit to get in .

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Super dumb question . I think i messed up major when it comes to putting the carb lines and fuel lines back together. And the petcock i bought. The one i bought only has a line for the fuel nothing else. Should i have bought the one with a line for fuel and vacuum I believe. I hooked up the gas tank breather to carb and didnt run it down below the bike like a dumbass 🤦‍♂️ Do you have a ex500? Can you tell me or show me a picture of where the carb hoses and gas tank hoses go so i can make sure i hooked everything up right. I know im a noob and your very well experienced. I have muchhhhh to learn. I should have took pictures beforehand. This could be also whats causing my bike to not start in the first place 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I will still charge battery and do all the other checks mentioned in the thread. But i gottttta make sure this hoses / lines are all routed correctly 😅

the pictures below explain what i mean about the petcock
Don't get down on yourself it took me a week to figure out where the lines went.i crossed the 2 fuel lines at the front of the tank and started the bike and it sent fuel out the overflow which looked like oil when it hit the ground I was floored at first then I figured out that I had just washed everything out and off of thde intake system

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't get down on yourself it took me a week to figure out where the lines went.i crossed the 2 fuel lines at the front of the tank and started the bike and it sent fuel out the overflow which looked like oil when it hit the ground I was floored at first then I figured out that I had just washed everything out and off of thde intake system
You know that you can eliminate all the smog on it ,if you want to

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
One thing (out of several) you need to consider on the carb rebuild. Is to be sure and do a fuel level check before reinstalling it back on the bike.

Also we still don't know if you have a 49 state bike or a CA model. The pic that would have showed us that came out blurry. Most of us are assuming that it is a 49 state bike. But if your tank has 3 hoses (or hose connections) let us know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Fuel level check ? Haha what do you mean by that simply put 😅 and here are better pictures of my tank. Also my carb replacement parts coming in and progress

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
The one thing we know for sure is your fuel level is too high.

ScreenShot027.jpg

This may give you an idea of what needs to be done to check the fuel level.
Do you see a diagram similar to this in your service manual. ( I have a different service manual than you, and am not familiar with the one that you're using)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The one thing we know for sure is your fuel level is too high.

ScreenShot027.jpg

This may give you an idea of what needs to be done to check the fuel level.
Do you see a diagram similar to this in your service manual. ( I have a different service manual than you, and am not familiar with the one that you're using)
ah yes I see and understand. One last question since your the carb guy. I order these carb jeta below. They say they are “stage 2” the pilot/idle jet looks identical but not the main jet. It also says is compatible with my bike . Have you ever heard of stage 2 and do you think these may work for the bike? Ill post the pictures below as well. My jets are the ones on the orange microfiber towel. I posted the stage 2 jet description as well

Attachments

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
stage two jets are you joking ! why. your turning a short story into a saga for no reason FYI stage two are tuning parts you don't need tuning parts there too complicated to set up at your skill level. you don't even need new jets just clean the old ones by the way they look different because your main jets are still screwed into the emulsion tubes the fact you haven't realised this should tell you all need to know at this point.
you have a manual read the dam thing. it's all in there. step by step . it seems to me sometimes you haven't grasped the concept of basics but want advanced tuition far ahead of what you should be doing. rather like wanting to know championship chess openings before you know how every piece actually moves on the board.
one job at a time strip. inspect. clean. verify. test. and move on. me thinks this is getting beyond my teaching level so now will retire until some realistic point where real help is needed this should be around post 999. or there about.
good luck. over to you I'm out.

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
I'm not the carb guy.
Odds are you do not need new jets. Stay away from any jet that is not exactly the same as the originals. Your main focus is replacing the float needle with a proper replacement (I have my doubts that the one you have will work). Making sure the float seat is perfectly clean and smooth. And checking your float height. Then confirming a proper fuel level.

Do not confuse float height with fuel level. Two different things.

These are what will fix the high fuel level. Other things should be done to make sure the rest of the carbs are running correctly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
stage two jets are you joking ! why. your turning a short story into a saga for no reason FYI stage two are tuning parts you don't need tuning parts there too complicated to set up at your skill level. you don't even need new jets just clean the old ones by the way they look different because your main jets are still screwed into the emulsion tubes the fact you haven't realised this should tell you all need to know at this point.
you have a manual read the dam thing. it's all in there. step by step . it seems to me sometimes you haven't grasped the concept of basics but want advanced tuition far ahead of what you should be doing. rather like wanting to know championship chess openings before you know how every piece actually moves on the board.
one job at a time strip. inspect. clean. verify. test. and move on. me thinks this is getting beyond my teaching level so now will retire until some realistic point where real help is needed this should be around post 999. or there about.
good luck. over to you I'm out.
If my posts upset you so much you don't need to reply or waste your time with them pal. But ok 👌 take care

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
^Agreed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The main jets emulsion tubes are connected together as one piece . And one of the idle jets got slightly damaged. I want to put a new pair because they strip easily. So when i need to do it in the future again there wont be a possibility of it getting stuck inside the carb.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 67 Posts