Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I'm not the carb guy.
Odds are you do not need new jets. Stay away from any jet that is not exactly the same as the originals. Your main focus is replacing the float needle with a proper replacement (I have my doubts that the one you have will work). Making sure the float seat is perfectly clean and smooth. And checking your float height. Then confirming a proper fuel level.

Do not confuse float height with fuel level. Two different things.

These are what will fix the high fuel level. Other things should be done to make sure the rest of the carbs are running correctly.
yes sir thank you for your input

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
I think I would replace those jets also. Again I'm not the carb guy, but if I'm understanding what I'm seeing in your jet pic, you have the wrong jets.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
so you think the ones I ordered are wrong or the original ones i have in my hands are wrong sorry 😅 i canceled the order on the new ones. I found a flat head that i can file down that would fit perfecting on original jets without worry of stripping. also im looking into the service manual and videos about fuel level. I definitely grasped the process and concept and importance of float level as well and see that fuel level and float level are different entirely.

·
Super Moderator
6,421 Posts
I meant the new ones being wrong. I can't tell by looking at the old ones if they're wrong.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the one you bought, and put it on a first Gen bike I had for a very long time, and it eventually began to leak around the rotation for the lever to turn on/off (took about 2 years of daily driving). You get what you pay for in this case.
Are you sure about that SV shock?? What is the spring rate? and how long is the shock? Personally I've never had any luck with the ignition advance keys. The airbox mods? yeah maybe. I've always found that the best set-up is with a DynoJet carb kit and a freshly rebuilt engine. The rest is all suspension adjustments. I'd re-think some of this.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
91 Posts
Already done all of these mods on other Ninja 500r's. Doing them all on this one bike because I can. I bought this bike to do what I am doing, any one of them do nominal if any modification to benefit the bike. I don't ever recommend anyone that has little experience with these bikes to do any of the questionable things I am doing. If you have any other insight into my build I am doing please PM me or find my build thread and not muddy up this guys thread about my bike. Thanks.

Are you sure about that SV shock?? What is the spring rate? and how long is the shock? Personally I've never had any luck with the ignition advance keys. The airbox mods? yeah maybe. I've always found that the best set-up is with a DynoJet carb kit and a freshly rebuilt engine. The rest is all suspension adjustments. I'd re-think some of this.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Super dumb question . I think i messed up major when it comes to putting the carb lines and fuel lines back together. And the petcock i bought. The one i bought only has a line for the fuel nothing else. Should i have bought the one with a line for fuel and vacuum I believe. I hooked up the gas tank breather to carb and didnt run it down below the bike like a dumbass 🤦‍♂️ Do you have a ex500? Can you tell me or show me a picture of where the carb hoses and gas tank hoses go so i can make sure i hooked everything up right. I know im a noob and your very well experienced. I have muchhhhh to learn. I should have took pictures beforehand. This could be also whats causing my bike to not start in the first place 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I will still charge battery and do all the other checks mentioned in the thread. But i gottttta make sure this hoses / lines are all routed correctly 😅

the pictures below explain what i mean about the petcock
If your OEM petcock is fine, except for the vacuum diaphragm, the solution is "simple."
Rip the vacuum diaphragm out. Make a blockoff plate from 1/8" aluminum the size of the vacuum diaphragm cover. Use the cover as a template and drill the four holes. Seal it up on the backside of the petcock with a rubber gasket (or use RTV).

Now, you have an OFF, ON and RESERVE petcock. Just REMEMBER to turn it off - like the old guys did in the old days.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts