Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a trick to seat the diaphragm, had mine out for two days and it appears to have shrunk a bit, cant get it to seat all around without popping up a bit on one side.

thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
I may give that a shot, I was considering soaking it in hot water to possibly expand it, Thought I would see what you guys had to say first.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It has been 4 years since I sold my 500. I don't even remember what you're talking about anymore, but my recommendation is still to soak it in gasoline. I believe mine expanded when I soaked it overnight.

·
Super Moderator
14,976 Posts
i use silicone paste to hold lip in place. cover locates perfectly....DONE.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I only read this after I did my carbs, but I believe FOG once mentioned spreading a thin about of grease into the diaphram seat to hold it in place.

·
Super Moderator
14,976 Posts
grease would work fine too. i believe diaphragm is nitrile rubber, grease won't harm. i use a thick silicone paste, either way , you're only using it as a temporary "adhesive" for holding purposes.

·
Super Moderator
14,976 Posts
i'm using silicdone paste, NOT silicone sealant or RTV. you want to be able to remove carb tops without tearing diapragm rubber.

the holding action just needs to be temporary, prior to assembly of carb tops.

·
Super Moderator
14,976 Posts
with silicone seal there is an adhesive action and u don't want/need that in this application. a tear in removal would be costly. grease or paste has no adhesive properties other than temporary holding action and is the proper stuff to use here, IMHO.

P

·
0 Posts
ducatiman said:
with silicone seal there is an adhesive action and u don't want/need that in this application. a tear in removal would be costly. grease or paste has no adhesive properties other than temporary holding action and is the proper stuff to use here, IMHO.
Good clarification. I used it on my head pipe coolant o-rings to provide a good seal. The diaphragm application is much better suited to your suggestion, or perhaps a thin coat of Vaseline would work too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts