Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I'm new here and to the world of the 500 ninja. just bought one 2 days ago. the one I bought is running a little rough when you try to accelerate fast it will bog hard, so my first thought is dirty carbs, but when I open it all up I see the kid who had it put k&n filters on it, and not the kind that go in the air box the kind that go right to the throttle body two individual filters. also may be bad gas.but when I disconnected the fuel tank the smaller fuel line only went to one of the carbs and the other was plugged. looked at microfiche and this looks normal,but then I looked at carbs on eBay and they had two of the smaller hoses. It has a yosh two in one exhaust and claimed to be getted. my question is what should my next step be?
thanks in advance for the help

Forgot to mention that it is a 95

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
do you have the air box?

Fog

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Ha ! got beaten by the best ::)

Anyhoo.. Hello and welcome :)

I'm far from an expert around carbs, but I'm pretty sure that the previous owner just lowered the power output of the engine.

You might want to check here, it's seems to be the best upgrade available : http://www.stevemorley.com/ex500/airbox/

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Well now you've inherited the worst of the kids thinking. With that pipe and no airbox all you can do is throw fuel at it and hope some of it finds a spark in there some where. If the pilots screws arn't opened yet do that and try to see if adjusting them yeilds any results. Pull the top of one carb ad see if there is a jet kit in there. You can tell if the needle has a C clip on it. Now you have to fiddle with the clip location and changing jets. Your going to get real good at pulling the carbs.

You got the biggest Can o worms you could have ever bought. If you had asked me about it before you bought it, I have advised you to pass on it or demand the stock pipes and air box. or take 500 off the price.

Pipeandajetkit dum dum. bah phfffftt.

FOG

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
You really need the paper that came with the jet kit and the rest of the parts too. A jet kit is not a THING, but a box of bits used to tune the engine according to the instructions on the Paper.

You could try messing with the needled by moving the C clip up and down and see what results.

A shop will need to throw away whats in there and start from scratch with the bike on a dyno, Anything else will just be a waste of money. Be prepared to pay several hundred bucks for the service.

I know in my shop that's what I would tell you up front, If they don't they probably don't know what there doing and will just waste your money.

Hang around here for a while and see who turns up. there was a guy who swears his bike runs great equiped like yours. Maybe he can get you straight.

FOG

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks
I talked to my local shop and he said if he just needs to clean it and it has been tuned right I'm looking at around 210.00, but if he has to put in a new jet kit more like 310. the bike is for my girl friend and it's her first so I'm more than willing to pay them to do it just for the peace of mind. they have done great work on my TLR, but I'm not adverse to saving money and doing myself if this other rider has one modded like mine that runs smooth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts