Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably would have been in the wiki but the link doesn't seem to be working anymore. I'm looking for safe solvents to clean the plastic parts of the carbs. I can find some aerosol spot-cleaning solvents but I'm looking for a liquid I can immerse the parts in if possible.

·
Super Moderator
6,029 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,782 Posts
plastic you referring to the fuel and vent rails? Or you mean rubber slide diaphragms?

Either way, a soapy warm water bath will not destroy. I routinely use Dawn dish soap/water in service functions. Dry and follow with a bit of Armor All if doing diaphragms using fingers coupled with microfiber/soft rag. go easy...no tearing.
A warning at all costs though, anytime, anywhere, anyway....avoid any chemical stuff on diaphragm rubbers. Especially the most read about use of starting fluid...ill advised. Ducati/Mikuni carbs and 250 Ninja Keihins employ nylon/plastic slides...ditto there. Starting fluid blatantly destructive crap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks @bpe I had no idea about that wayback machine thing. @ducatiman thanks for the tips, I would have given the fuel and vent slides the same treatment if u hadn't mentioned. I think I found a local place that sells a dip in carb cleaner. I'll find out Monday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts