Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, new 06 ninja 500 owner here. Bought last week and haven't ridden it until a more mechanically inclined friend could come by for a proper tune up

Started it up yesterday and let it warm up for a few minutes. Choke on and was wavering around 1200rpm. Tried to close the choke but sounded like it was going to stall. Ended up shutting it off and looking at the carbs saw a bead of fuel dripping from underneath. Almost like it was full of fuel but haven't opened it up

Do I have a gunked up carb or did I let it idle with choke too long? Or something else?

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
261 Posts
The choke is used only for seconds if the carbs are set up correctly. Though the choke being on will not necessarily cause a leak so I am going with especially where you got your bike, yeah they are ready to be gone completely through. Make sure you are not getting gas in your oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will do, thanks!

Throttle revs up nicely (doesn't stall) , but returns to very low idle. Hoping a good cleaning does it

I did smell some gas when I went back out today, prior to starting. I assume it's from the small drip in the float (even though petcock was off?)

Other than the old sniff test in the oil tank, any other way to make sure no gas in the oil?

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,261 Posts
Other than the old sniff test in the oil tank, any other way to make sure no gas in the oil?
pro oil analysis

Reactions: FlipFlop and Bodhi

·
Registered
72 Posts
This happened to me when I left the pet cock in the ON position for a few months. It must have leaked slightly and filled the carb.

I shut the petcock and I wiped everything clean.
Ran the engine with the petcock closed for a minute and everything was good.

I hope your issue is as simple as mine.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts