Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My carburetor float height was set too low resulting in fuel getting into the crankcase- thank you FOG for diagnosing that for me. I have set the height to 17 mm, with the floats resting LIGHTLY on the float valves, so that the little plunger is not depressed (correct?).
NOW the bike has a really bad flat spot between about 3500-6000 RPM.
Question: What happens if floats are set too high? I know if set too low it results in the fuel in oil problem I was having, but if they are set too high will there be a fuel-starving situation as there seems too be?

And FOG, before ya say it, no I stupidly did not clean the pilot jet, which I will this time around and in fact I'm headed to the auto parts store in a few minutes to get some supplies (and a fuel filter)!!!

Edit: Oh yea and the mixture screws are 2.5 turns out.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
The float level won't cause the flat spot but the pilot jets sure will. Back flush the line from the carbs to the tank before you put the filter on.

FOG

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow thanks for the speedy reply FOG! Will do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
What are symptoms of float issues? With only 350 miles on the odo, I believe I am having them. Strong fuel smell, Bike had a flat spot above 3k to 5k and the first start of the day takes a while, even with the choke on.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well in my case gasoline was getting into the crankcase. When changing oil the old stuff smelled strongly of gasoline, and I got a little more out than I had put in. I'm sure the oil viscosity was way off. No matter what I'm gonna start turning off the petcock every time it's parked, as added prevention.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Titanium said:
What are symptoms of float issues? With only 350 miles on the odo, I believe I am having them. Strong fuel smell, Bike had a flat spot above 3k to 5k and the first start of the day takes a while, even with the choke on.
If you suspect flooding due to float height , why on earth would you add more fuel by using the "choke"?

FOG

·
Registered
31 Posts
FOG said:
Titanium said:
If you suspect flooding due to float height , why on earth would you add more fuel by using the "choke"?

FOG
The bike had been having a hard start issue. I assumed it was because it was cold, and needed the choke just at startup. The bike ran great, started without the choke, didn't have the flat spot, and didn't have a strong fuel odor till about a week ago.

Back to the question, What are the symptoms? Am I correct in assuming I have a float issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I had set my float height to 17 mm per Kawasaki specs and then wound up with a flat spot in the midrange- FOG said it was the pilot jet. BINGO! Completely disassembled, cleaned, backflushed, and installed an inline fuel filter, and now it runs fine. Add another one to FOG's stats.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Your description of the "flat Spot " is inadequate. describe all the conditions Throttle open, engine load. what ever you can think of. What were your doing just before, after.

FOG

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hhmm I assume that was for Titanium cuz I took your advice & now it runs fine- thanks again though.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Ok that's what matters.

FOG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts