Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've never tried to get an EX to run properly without the factory airbox and have no plans to do so in the future. I HAVE installed non-factory carbs on other bikes and got them to run very well, eventually. My advice? If you choose to go that route, pick an after market carb that is reasonably priced, brand name high quality, readily available, and, most of all, has a huge selection of jets, slides, needles, and bore sizes listed in the catalogue. Buy them new so you aren't dealing with worn out stuff or unknown modifications from the get-go. My vote would be the Mikuni TM flat slide series.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time and money getting them dialed in. Be prepared to build suitable custom anti-vibration mounts. Be prepared to adapt the throttle cables. Be prepared to take a zillion test drives, scratch your head trying to figure out what change to make next, then take the carbs apart and make the change. Then rinse and repeat. It can be done but its not feasible to pay someone else to do it. It helps to be retired.

Fog's suggestion of a Weber DCOE 40 makes sense as well if it will fit in the space. In fact, it would be really unique and cool. Last I looked they cost about $400 new, substantially less used. The Webers are adaptable in the extreme because everything can be changed and everything is available. Main jets, air jets, idle jets, emulsion tubes, accelerator pump jets, accelerator pump inlets, float needle valves, main venturies, auxiliary venturies, linkage parts, and more...all available, for a price.

Another option....fuel injection. Or build your own air box or hack up a stock one so it will fit in the available space. The road you have chosen is not an easy one. (Or maybe it will run perfectly with a simple jet kit making this thread totally unnecessary.) Good luck.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The villain (older member on here) was able to use 37mm CR carbs with a 135 main. He had other work done to his bike, but swore in a PM with me they ran well at all throttle/load positions.

Best I could find for sale were 33mm CR carbs if the ones ducatiman linked don't work out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/33mm-Keihin-CR-Special-Smoothbore-Carburetor-Kit-Kawasaki-EX-500-EX500-Ninja-/182628896212

http://power-barn.com/kawasaki-ex500-keihin-cr-special-racing-carburetor-kit/ they have some too

Otherwise you'd have to measure carb spacing and try to find another bike with similar spacing. Then hope you can get an adapter to match the carb diameter to the cylinder inlet diameter.

·
Registered
797 Posts
hi ducatiman a interesting reply, one which I would like to respond to if I may.

it is a fact that most chopper, bobber. café racers, street fighters builds use pods more often than not. here on the EX forum, not so many that's true but there may well be reasons for this. when an air of assumed hostility appears to exist the average joe will stay in the shadows and refrain from adding comment. when this changes more will come forward to report on their progress it has happened elsewhere on other forums. unless we accept that changing stock carburation is a legitimate modification this will continue.

I stand by my statement the best you can achieve is to get a ridable bike simply because this is true. any modification from stock will alter the way the bike rides doesn't matter what it is, from suspension to anything else some may make it better while others not so much in these case the best you can do is make it predictable.

so why do it. I cannot speak for anyone else but in my case I built a project bike from scratch, one of the parameters was to get the ride height a low as possible you would understand if you had short legs. the stock EX at 31in is way too high. there is very little one can do to reduce the suspension height by much due to the bike being quite low as it is. so the seat height was the only way. and given that the airbox sits 4in above the frame it had to go so the seat would sit on the frame.
the alternative seemed to be pod filters and all that entailed. and so started the journey.

so far I have tried all the pod mods on the internet [they don't work]
modified the stock airbox [no better than just pods]
made my own custom airbox [better but lacks the volume required]
changed the CVK jets. needles, [much better but still not great]
modified the carb slides to stop flutter [better still]
installed velocity stacks between the carb and filter [better still] at this point I nearly called it done the bike was great on most throttle opening except sudden wide open throttle where a hint of hesitation could be felt.

and then went on to change the carb set for sliders and started again with a whole set of unknowns
this works the best so far the bike is whole lot better I believe better than stock due to the different power curve at lower revs but it's taken a long time to get here. so was it worth it hell yes.

lastly the OP has already stated that he has ordered a jet kit and his mate is going to fit them while he is away I assume from this he hasn't got them fitted yet so has nothing to report. I am sure he will lets us know what the kit contains and how it runs when fitted. one just as to wait.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
A member mentioned in an earlier post that he didn't see any snarkiness in the opening post. That's because both ducatiman and myself got involved here and it got changed, just as I had to get involved and smooth over a dispute between him and another member a couple days ago which caused a massive threadjack elsewhere. The original intent here, from the screaming CAPS in the thread title, down to wording and the devil icon in the opening statement, was meant to provoke. Bottom line, he's caused us aggravation from post one, no matter how many lols he threw in.

If you think this is because we're dead set against pods, no matter what, you're dead wrong. Others have come here looking for help because they put the ex-500 engine in something else, needed to use pods, and asked if we had any suggestions. Those people got positive input, because there was no agenda behind the question. Well, maybe one or two members went knee jerk into the anti pod lecture, but for the most part we did our best to help them come up with something. We're not a crowd of angry people with pitchforks, for God's sake.

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
Creating conflict for the sake of creating conflict? Are you familiar with the old "ban hammer"? :wink2:
look back to post #6.....its not like he wasn't warned, then continues in the thread to intentionally provoke a mod....while here to garner help, no less.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
One last thing; I wrestled with this decision for one reason and one reason only, and that is, a number of members contributed some great posts here.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.