Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday when I was coming back from work around 2am I get on that road you see in my sig as usual.

What was less usual is that I came across a police car with all it's lights on and the 2 policemen sticking their head out the windows with their flashlights looking on their side each. Pretty unusual since it's a pretty calm locality I live in. Anyhow I keep on my path, figuring that they must be looking for something and not bothering myself more than that.

I pass another car maybe 100 feet further and he flashes his headlights like there's no tomorrow, I guess another police cruiser is following and he wants to advise me or even to let me know that the road forward is being rebuilt (same place as the ex500 as dirt road warrior post) and keep going.

Another 200 feet and I hear a weird noise. Thump thumpthump thump thumpthump (I'm wearing my earplugs) so I slow down a bit.

At my great surprise, it was a riderless horse running on the street looking all freaked out in my lane, running towards me as fast as he was able to :eek: I grab the brakes, blow the horn in the darkness of the night and I scared the beast even more than it was already. It almost sat on it's butt trying to stop, slid down, got back up and ran past me close enough I had a whiff of it's smell.. Turns out it broke out of it's stall and the policemen got a complain from a neighbor that the beast was eating their lawn..

Imagine what my insurance broker reaction would've been if I would have told them that I had a head on collision with a horse running counter traffic ...

Be careful out there, the cagers are not the only source of danger..

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
deer, drunk pedestrians, kids chasing toys, cattle (free range country)...

Any of us in the wrong place at the wrong time...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Everytime before I ride, I remind myself ANYTHING could go wrong. By "anything" I mean ANYTHING. Even a "head on collision with a horse running counter traffic." It is this realization and even fear that keeps me vigilant, awake, tactful and thus safe on the road (as I'm an everyday rider in a busy part of Los Angeles (AKA San Fernando Valley.)

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
When I was a kid in....well just say a long time ago. My dad hit a horse with our 1941 Chevy. The horse ran down a culvert and onto the road right in front of us. Dad swerved to avoid a head on but hit the horse with the side. The horse ran away while we had to be towed.

FOG

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason said:
FOG said:
When I was a kid in....well just say a long time ago. My dad hit a horse with our 1941 Chevy.
did you typo? I would've though a 1491 would be the year :p

just teasing
He's referring to human years, not experience years ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was able to wheelie without a sprocket upgrade ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts