Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This a 1991 600F2....actually more than just carbs...

a local member having difficulties idling, sound familiar? Dropped bike at my house today....
Keihin downdraft carbs pulled and examined on bench.

Cleared, cleaned, tweaked..lets see what tomorrow brings.

I love the blue/black/grey Honda period color scheme, he just needs to deal with the hot pink sections, yuch.

This bike needs attention...but a cool, late model classic nonetheless.

Wow...what happened to the bowls?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey that bike looks familiar, carba look spectacular! Handing my bike over to you was easily the best idea ive had as of late. Ladies and gentlemen, He has had this bike since 3pm today!!! And look at how clean he got everything!!! Hes not a man, but a god!

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
this "god" is on Guinness time out tonight.

Dunno about the god thing...I do work fast, focused and hard though. Until beer time!

To start early in morning session #2...maybe tomorrow we have some good news?

edited to add....Honda's tamper proofed pilot screws had no screwdriver slot...no means to remove, clean and adjust, an integral part of the pilot circuit!

I took the liberty....dremel, nice, neat slots to aid present and future service. The ability to remove screws and clean the pilot orifice is essential. DONE. See where I'm talkin' bout'? Just flat heads on the screws...nuthin'.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
morning session....DONE.

starts at the press of the button, idles perfect, readily responds to throttle

Cruss advised, await his test ride and pick up, rain today...no rush

HITLIST:
removed pilot jets and pilot screws,emulsion tubes and mains..all passages cleared and confirmed
pilot screws slotted for ease of service, removal and adjustment in the future
bench synched...to correct throttle plates which were way off
discovered and corrected an intake leak
removed, cleaned, lubed, corrected sticky throttle
adjusted a loose choke cable
adjusted clutch cable at the lower end
discovered, replaced and tightened various loose/missing engine mount bolts
purged old brake fluid followed by a major brake bleeding

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
21 hours into my possession...video taken earlier this morning, on gravity fed fuel source. ...not me...the BIKE ;D

apologies for terribly produced video :eek: bush league....but conveys the message..

F2 is running super! 8)

https://youtu.be/aU0uX8FehA8

I like it....maybe an older CBR600 in my future? WTH...I'm only 64.

Gratifying to personally see and feel results of my work.

Front brakes feel like hockey puck pads....now that the bike will run...gotta make sure it stops!

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I kinda want one too. There's an F2 for ~800. Buuuuuuuut it doesn't run

·
Registered
15 Posts
Theyre great bikes, but idk about one for 800 bucks though lol. Id spend the extra money to get a good one, or atleast have a dependable mechanic "god" to fix it up

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pending an inspection (no major engine damages) I'd consider the $800 unit....but as I've told Cruss (Cameron) ....a clean, unbastardized, complete, factory paint, fully operational Hurricane, F2, F3 will no doubt achieve late model classic status...and command some bucks to buy-in. Responsible, long term owners are rare indeed.

I enjoyed seeing the immediate results of my work today, running great, no doubt a really fun bike. I wish I was 25 again....... ;D

Mango (Casey) knows I'm always there for his carb work....doing his EX carbs a few years ago (with great success) inspired me, leading to the concept and foundation of Custom Carb Services.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mangosmoothie said:
I kinda want one too. There's an F2 for ~800. Buuuuuuuut it doesn't run
link to an advertisement? is it complete? with bodywork?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ looks like bodywork from various donors...likely a crash victim

I'm just about done with subject 600. Purged sludge-like brake fluid from the master...replaced with Motul...a real good bleed session....brake feel improved 100%.

NOW its test rideable....did 15-20 miles local roads near home (with owner Cruss permission, of course)

Topped with a couple gallons of fresh fuel laced with a dose of Stabil 360.....it progressively ran better and better. No choke needed, no stalling, revs to the moon. Vance and Hines pipe....a slight miss consistent at 3000RPM (just ride around it) ...this thing might actually benefit from a jet kit. The newly adjusted clutch easy to modulate engagement.

This bike very small, light, friendly, instantly rideable. Other than the obnoxious loud pipe, a nice little bike. Would make a great stepper-upper for an EX500 owner.

Cruss (Cameron) to pick up later in the week, get tires, do some miles and reevaluate from there.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I'm on the lookout for a cheap jap 600 or ex500

Although I'd probably consider a tt600/daytona 600/speed 4

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Ducatiman please post a pic of this bike when its all put back together, I want to see what these cbrs look like these days.
When I was in the market for a Honda 600 they had the smoking joes version, I remember sitting on one in the showroom

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its an older F2....1991. I've got it here without full bodywork.

Perhaps owner/member Cruss127 (who's subscribed to this thread) will give us a full, proper photo at some point.

He just picked it up, as is...so he's in a semi-restoration mode. Now that the bike is streetable...tires are next in his radar. He's a younger fella....this a perfect bike for him. Great fun to ride.

Stay tuned, FLA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have plenty of pictures lol but it wont let me post them on here because it says the picture is to much memory

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
http://raresportbikesforsale.com/

there's a couple cool F2's (many pics) for sale on this site, other very interesting stuff too.

FLORIDA, Mango, Cruss...get yee to the Honda section (the Ducati and Triumph sections quite entertaining as well) use the search feature...some very cool "late model classics"...all pristine.

(note, this is why you maintain your "keepers" in stock-like appearance, serviced, clean and neat...future desirability)

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a couple of pics for FLORIDA EX.

blue, black and pink the stock paint/bodywork

green as it sits today, quite a transformation from a non-runner earlier in the month!

Cruss reports running GREAT! I'm posting these pics on his behalf...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 20 Posts