Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I am going to be doing a fairly big motorcycle trip in June and I am wondering what sort of cell phone plan (if any) is best for making calls when out of country. I live in Canada and I will be crossing down into the United States. I know that a lot of plans have ridiculus roaming fees as well as fees for just turnign your phone on and connecting when out of country. Is there anythin better out there?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Calling cards ? Those are the cheapest ;)

I'd say, call the major phone companies : Telus, Bell, Verizon, insert name here.. and check what are their roaming charges

·
Registered
261 Posts
Jason said:
maybe prepaid? tracfone has a cheap phone for $15 then just stock up on minutes.
Yeah that might work, I have one, I can't recall exactly but I think it said international calls are the same rate. You'll have to check the TOS though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dunno, I just read some really bad things about TracPhones, and how they are a bit of a scam.

if you have a cell phone already, ask your provider what plan you need to activate for 'free' long distance without roaming fees. There may be no option since you're crossign the boarder.

but its only $5 a month for me to get unlimited roaming on analog or digital signals through Sprint. a nd I can turn that on and off on a monthly basis.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
what kind of service do you have?

if you have T mobile, you can just stop at a store and buy a pre-paid sim card.

·
Registered
722 Posts
malkore said:
I dunno, I just read some really bad things about TracPhones, and how they are a bit of a scam.

if you have a cell phone already, ask your provider what plan you need to activate for 'free' long distance without roaming fees. There may be no option since you're crossign the boarder.

but its only $5 a month for me to get unlimited roaming on analog or digital signals through Sprint. a nd I can turn that on and off on a monthly basis.
I use tracfone, I haven't noticed a scam yet. However, I don't use it a lot only keep it for emergencies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Jason said:
I use tracfone, I haven't noticed a scam yet. However, I don't use it a lot only keep it for emergencies.
Yeah me neither. Except the high prices, $50 for 250 minutes is lame, but I make it last 3 months.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not tied down to a carrier yet so my options are open to all. i'll have to call aroudn adn see whats best. Thanks all!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
try to call early in the morning, you'll wait less ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to go with a long distance calling card for most of my calling home, and a cell phone in case I really need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts