Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a major (for me) rework of the front (Race Tech emulators and new springs) and rear (new spring and dog bones) suspension. Raising the bike from its stock height, changes the angle of the bike when on the side stand and the center stand is now less than effective in solidly supporting the bike. From previous posts I was aware this would occur, and plan to use supplemental blocking or supports in the short run.

It occurred to me there may be a more permanent portable fix for the situation, and would be interested if anyone has attempted the modification. Specifically, the obvious (to me) solution to restoring functionality to both the side and center stands is to extend them. For instance, I was thinking about welding a short piece of steel to the side stand, and some steel tubing to the center stand as a longer term solution.

If anyone has attempted this, or knows why the idea won't work, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I know what you mean about the new angle on the sidestand and the center not really reaching the ground but I've done nothing with either. The sidestand is still stable and paying attention to the grade where parking is all I do. It may be that I'm comfortable with it because most other bikes I've owned actually leaned much further on the sidestand than these did. I used to consider shortening it for stability where the grade was less than favorable, like angle parking on a city street with the rear backed towards the curb. That often left me with insufficient lean to be stable. Well, raising the bike took care of that. ;)

And as far as the centerstand, I've replied a few times that I think it's fine to use a block in the garage and on the road, lubing a chain or some such, just find a high spot in the pavement and use that to your advantage.

If you do raise it, consider cutting it above the spring attachment point so that gets moved too. Mine has just sufficient spring tension to hold the sidestand up and I would fear that extended or with any substantially heavier end, like from a spacer block welded on, that the weight will now exceed the spring's capability of holding it up. Cutting above that point will extend the attachment point, tightening up on the spring a bit too. These are just thoughts, not something I've done. Make sure the newly extended position won't get in the way of the shifter or pegs, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts