Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first bike and I've had it about a week and a half (ridden every day - I love it!). So far one of the hardest things for me to do is get the bike up on the centerstand. I like to use the centerstand when possible because it is much more stable than the kick stand. I don't have the owners manual, and could use some tips on the best way to get it up. Should I be sitting on the bike or standing on the left side? Any advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Definitely recommend standing to the side. Though it is do able from sitting on the bike it requires much more effort unless you are a really big guy (though I have done it). The trick is to let your weight to all the work. Stand to the port side of the bike, I put one hand on the rear grab bar and the other on the nearest handle bar or frame. Using your right foot step on the centerstand lightly at first, making sure the bike is perfectly upright and both legs are making contact (KEY), from there slowly shift all your weight to your right foot and your bike should pop right up. Easy! I am by no means a large guy (5'10", 150) but it is really quite easy. It is all in the technique. Making sure both legs of the center stand are making contact with the ground before shifting all your weight onto it, it is a lot harder if the weight of the bike isn't being applied equally to the legs of the stand.

Hope this helps... this is a common question.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Im working on an artsy write up for this one... stay tuned... (this weekend hopfully)

·
Registered
15 Posts
A lot of people try to muscle the bike but that doesn't work. As the other poster said, just make sure the bike is level, step down and gently pull up.

R

·
0 Posts
PontiacJack - take photo's! Lets make it the centre-stand write up to end all centre stand questions!

I too was in the same boat at the start of riding, and couldn't figure out a non-back breaking way to do it - but what dsmmcken said is write - left hand on handle bar, right hand on grab bar, right foot on centre stand - push and lift. It'll come up easy.

Once you have that down, what till you start spinning the bike on the centre stand. Which reminds me - anybody able to do that trick with the kick-stand?

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Exactly. When you've got it right, you'll be pressing down on the centerstand nub with the weight of your body, and only be slightly tugging over on the passenger rail with your right hand.

Hang on to the left handlebar with your left hand, right hand on the passenger rail, and put ALL of your weight on the nub of the centerstand - from there, a slight tug on the passenger rail should be all that's needed.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Just a note about stability, though. Rumor has it that when the bike is on the side stand, the bike is most stable - the three points of contact result in a wider triangle of points contacting the ground, which I believe in completely. I don't doubt that it takes more force to knock the bike over from either side when it's on the sidestand then on the centerstand, even though the centerstand seems better.

With that said, I have my EX partially winterized outside, and it's on the centerstand - only to reduce pressure on the tires, and because it's sitting between a couple of other bikes to buffer it from destabilizing hits.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone that's great advice! I've been doing it wrong (trying to muscle it, lift it) I'm 6' 200lbs and couldn't understand what I was doing wrong (I guess it does weigh 400 lbs). It's kind of embarrassing to have a sweet bike and be struggling in the parking lot trying to get it parked. I'll try it out today for sure.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Royson said:
Once you have that down, what till you start spinning the bike on the centre stand. Which reminds me - anybody able to do that trick with the kick-stand?
yeah!.... with a ex250 :p

Lots of photos! :D hopefully I'll get it done by monday I'm starting a new job/turning 23 this weekend so i might be a bit tired(ie. hungover)

·
Registered
101 Posts
well i once turned my bike to head the garage door in my garage with it on the centerstand (180¤turn) :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
illusion said:
well i once turned my bike to head the garage door in my garage with it on the centerstand (180¤turn) :)
Let me hear from you guys about that... I didn't really figure it out, too lazy to figure it out. I have to hide my bike on the side of the house now that I moved into this studio apartment thingy with a garage that is not ready for me to occupy (don't ask why agreed to that) and in the morning or night it can be a tough squeeze maneuvering around tenants cars my brothers car and so forth. On the center stand I can spin the bike clockwise but if I try to spin it counter clockwise it won't budge it just starts to tip over.... Any feedback?

R

·
0 Posts
Jack, noticed the same thing when I spin - I can spin the bike one way, but not the other! Not sure why though...I didn't really give it much thought at the time.

·
Registered
275 Posts
dsmmcken said:
PontiacJack said:
Im working on an artsy write up for this one... stay tuned... (this weekend hopfully)
or better yet a simple youtube video showing the process?
shhhhhh your spoiling my surprise

R

·
0 Posts
PontiacJack said:
dsmmcken said:
PontiacJack said:
or better yet a simple youtube video showing the process?
shhhhhh your spoiling my surprise
Haha, this I can't wait to see. I'm picturing a total epic movie here, along the lines of Gone with the Wind. A tale of love, romance, war, and properly setting your EX500 on it's centre stand.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was thinking a little bit more like a lord of the rings trilogy! Frodo! quickly enage the center stand!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey just a quick report back that it worked great. Popped it up twice with no trouble. Who knew it could be so easy! And I'm an engineer and I didn't have a clue, I guess the instinct to muscle it overrides a little intelligent thought sometime :p . Thanks again! You have just made my riding experience so much easier.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Right on ... good for you, now... lets work on your wheelies ;D just kidding.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts