Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: I found this to be either the stock muffler, or a bracket that should have come with my aftermarket exhaust

I am trying to add a centerstand to my '93 EX-500 and I have everything except for whatever it is that stops the centerstand from retracting too high. There's a rubber grommet on the left side of the stand that I'm assuming is supposed to hit something - but I don't have that something. Does anybody have a picture of this piece - or an idea what it's called so I can find it? I'm thinking running with the centerstand rubbing on the chain wouldn't be a good long term plan... ;)

I looked through the service manual and the diagrams on Babbitts's site, but I can't find the piece I'm looking for.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Re: Looking for part - centerstand stop (to keep it from going into the chain)

I don't have the bike in front of me but I think the grommet rests on the underside of the muffler. Do you by chance have a non-stock exhaust system?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

dwengi said:
Do you by chance have a non-stock exhaust system?
Unfortunately, yes. Part of the problem of buying the bike used (and pre-molested) is forgetting what the stock setup is.

dwengi said:
I don't have the bike in front of me but I think the grommet rests on the underside of the muffler.
That makes perfect sense. I guess I need to see if I can rig something up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

As an update for anyone else having this same problem, I have determined that the exhaust I have (Vance and Hines) supposedly comes with a bracket. Apparently one of the previous owners didn't get this bracket, or decided to take the center stand off for other reasons. Anyway, I have contacts V&H to try to order the bracket (if it's cheap enough, it'll look better than anything I can fix up).

I've attached an image of my temporary fix, a building tie strap. Total cost - $0.53.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

Hope it don't fails, your centerstand seems a bit chewed up by the chain there ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Frog said:
Hope it don't fails, your centerstand seems a bit chewed up by the chain there ;)
Wondered if anybody would notice that. :p That's from my first $0.50 attempt - I used too thin a piece of metal and it had a tendency to shift under hard riding. This one looks bowed in the picture, but it's not - and I had to use a good bit of force to bend the bottom part - I don't think it will fall apart. It's held up for 80 miles so far, anyway. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

I know its an old thread, but it seemed better to bump it than start a new thread.

My bike no longer has an exhaust, and I was wondering if anyone else had some DIY solutions or some aftermarket solutions to deal with the center stand, or how the solution pictured above worked out.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The solution would work with stiffer metal and something to keep the metal from twisting in place. I made a third one that was better than that pictured above and had no issues up until the point I bought a stock exhaust.

Also, V&H did respond and say they had the bracket, but they never actually followed through on letting me buy it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts