Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-\ any one adjusted the chain? my co worker says its too loose. I checked and it does look loose. i dont want to missalign the wheel so if any one can tell me how to do this and keep it straight would be appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
But don't put it off......!!!!!!!! :eek:

I did....and it almost bit me on the butt...

I noticed last week it looked like it was time to tighten since I had about 2"+ of play when i wanted about 1-1.5", its a brand new non-O-ring race chain, i was surprised it needed it already too....

Anywho on the way home I pulled into the grass in the shade at a open drawbridge, when the bridge went down i went to pull back on and spun the rear tire in the grass and threw the chain right off, which locks up the back wheel as the chain gets caught between the sprockets nuts and the swingarm...was going slow so no problem, but any faster and back on the road and i'd eaten pavement....

I carry some metric tools in my rear bag but had nothing big enough to break the (19mm?) rear axle bolt so i had to call for a tool delv from my Dad... had the chain back on before he got there but still needed to tighten it up before i rode it.

And I have no excuse like being a newbie, i have all the tools to cut and put on chains and do it myself and i even keep it safety wired out of habit....

So keep a eye on your chain!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
panda said:
:-\ any one adjusted the chain? my co worker says its too loose. I checked and it does look loose. i dont want to missalign the wheel so if any one can tell me how to do this and keep it straight would be appreciated. :D
Check the chain like the post said in the link Nightslugger provided. IF there is more than the allowable slack in the chain, like way more, 3" or better, then you need to tighten the chain before riding any further.

Simply put to adjust the chain tension you move the rear sprocket (wheel actually) closer or further from the front sprocket (engine) the adjustment bolts are on the swing arm. I tightened up my chain and it took all of 10 minutes. What I didn't do was check the wheel alignment for front and rear wheels. FOG has a post about how to do that. Just search for wheel allignment.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Gman said:
panda said:
What I didn't do was check the wheel alignment for front and rear wheels. FOG has a post about how to do that. Just search for wheel allignment.

Hope that helps.
Yes DO NOT forget that :( - Or the next time you pop a wheelie on the beach at 1am, your chain will come off and you'll be riding the bus home with stoners and junkies wondering if anyone is going to steal your bike until 6 am when you can get it towed :-[
(man that sucked so much.)

Basic steps

1) take out cotter pin and loosen axle nut - with tire iron or 29mm(i think) Socket.
2) put bike on center stand, if it exists, or jack up rear tire through method of choice
3) adjust chain tensioner nuts on chain side to desired chain tightness and check that the other side is tightened accordingly.

For allignment:

4) those "Guides" are useless, but go ahead and get a rough idea
5) get a measuring tape and measure from a uniform part of the tire (like those triangles imbedded in the wall that are the same position on each side) - and some part of the swing arm that's also uniform.
These two measurements should be the same and visual inspection should tell you, you are alligned.

To test:
Go to beach at 1am
Take rpm to 8k
GENTLY pop clutch
Bring front tire up
See if you still have a chain :)

(bus fare just in case never hurts)

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Loosen axel turn each adjuster exactlly the same amount. Count the flats. tighten axel
FOG

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:Dthanks for all the replies. Ill try to do that this weekend, since it looks rainy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts