Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my last chain decided it no longer wanted to be on the bike, I went ahead and got a new chain, with a front and rear sprocket as well.

Believe it or not the oem chain and sprockets were still on it 20years and 35k later lol.

The problem I am having is that I didn’t notice the previous owner put an oversized tire on it, and now the best I can do with the chain is only about .5 to .75 of an inch of travel, Any looser and the tire rubs.

Will that be ok? I don’t really come onto it hard when riding, or should I just take the L and buy a longer chain. This is my first bike, so I’m just not sure about these things.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
sorry mate your question makes no sense. unless you have made a mistake in ordering spare parts. because.
if the chain you took off was OEM it was 104 links with a 16/41 or 42 rear sprocket. the rear tire could not have been an issue as it was running on it. if you bought OEM again it should fit surely.
with the adjusters approximately in the middle. the stock tyre would have a typical clearance of around 1.5in
are you sure you have the correct length of chain (104 links) either way 3/4" is far too tight I think the recommendation is 1.5in so if you cannot achieve that you need a longer chain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everything ordered was stock sizes. Box said 104 links, the chain I took off was the original chain as far as I could tell (seeing how it was original sprockets front and back)

Only thing not stock is the tire size, so it’s the only thing I can think of stopping me from having enough slack on the new chain.

The old chain might have been stretched enough to allow the tire to fit good.

I will have to call the parts store tomorrow I guess and order a 106 link chain or a bigger one and just cut it down. Was hoping I could get away with it being a little tight, but it doesn’t seem like a good idea?

should mention the rear tire is currently a 140/80/17

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
When the chain is too tight you can usually hear a sprocket noise, especially when coasting.
If you're "lucky", maybe it's time for a new tire. Can get a smaller one. Sounds like the one you have is big enough to rub on the swing arm when it expands with heat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was planning on new tires for next season. Seeing how they are still in good shape.

I will just see if the local shops have either the stock tire size in, or a chain I can use and go from there. Really frustrating as the bike has been down for a month already waiting for parts, finally got the last one today and still can’t ride lol.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Everything ordered was stock sizes. Box said 104 links, the chain I took off was the original chain as far as I could tell (seeing how it was original sprockets front and back)

Only thing not stock is the tire size, so it’s the only thing I can think of stopping me from having enough slack on the new chain.

The old chain might have been stretched enough to allow the tire to fit good.

I will have to call the parts store tomorrow I guess and order a 106 link chain or a bigger one and just cut it down. Was hoping I could get away with it being a little tight, but it doesn’t seem like a good idea?

should mention the rear tire is currently a 140/80/17
now i'm puzzled. the bike I built uses a gen 1 swingarm (for the drum brake) it has a GTR1000 rear wheel with 150 wide tire without any clearance issues. I thought the gen 2 had a wider swingarm fitted to accommodate the disk rear brake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now i'm puzzled. the bike I built uses a gen 1 swingarm (for the drum brake) it has a GTR1000 rear wheel with 150 wide tire without any clearance issues. I thought the gen 2 had a wider swingarm fitted to accommodate the disk rear brake.
Im going to go back to my dads garage and try again once the wife is home to watch the kids.

I’m going to try micro adjustments and see if I can get a bit more slack out of it, The tire rubs on the sidewall, closest to the engine side of the swingarm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the chain is too tight you can usually hear a sprocket noise, especially when coasting.
If you're "lucky", maybe it's time for a new tire. Can get a smaller one. Sounds like the one you have is big enough to rub on the swing arm when it expands with heat.
Funny enough, the bike has never been so quiet. Hardly any noise at all from it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a few hours of playing with the adjusters I was able to get 1.2 inches of slack out of the chain. Tire doesn’t appear to rub while riding, atleast I don’t hear or feel anything like a rubbing tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts