Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a set of racing scrubs that I got when I bought my bike, dunlop k591's. Started by changing just the front test rode it and it seemed great so did the back too. So far they're pretty good tires 130/80/16 front 130/90/16 back. There doesn't seem to be any vibration or bouncing at all seems very smooth. Back tire was much easier to change then the front. Has anyone else ever changed their own tires?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep,130. I ground a bit of head off of the bolts for the fender but it fits. Doesn't turn slow either.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I dont know, but to me that seems a bit excessively wide. if it works, do it.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
I changed mine all the time . Except at the track , where they do it for free.

FOG

·
Registered
308 Posts
i wish i had a garage, then id change my own tires. instead my rear tire/rim is sitting at the dealership. i brought it in first thing this morning. they "hope" to have it finished for me by the end of the day (5). hope? it takes them probably 10 minutes?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rear was pretty easy in comparison to the front, the only thing you really need is a compressor or you won't be able to seat the tire properly. I put the 130 on because that's what I had and it was free and still had most of it's tread left.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
johndoe said:
Rear was pretty easy in comparison to the front, the only thing you really need is a compressor or you won't be able to seat the tire properly. I put the 130 on because that's what I had and it was free and still had most of it's tread left.
you really don't need a compressor, it is easier ,but once you change the tire most any garage or tire shop I have dealt with will let you use theirs , some are even nice enough to re-seat it for you , of course tipping to anyone who dose this for you is nice to do.

·
Registered
216 Posts
johndoe said:
Or if you need some excitement in your life you can use the starting ether method of seating tires...

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Yeah, You spray a bit or a lot into the mounted but unseated tire then pas a torch over the gap. the resulting expolsion seats the tire.

FOG

·
Registered
9 Posts
FOG said:
Yeah, You spray a bit or a lot into the mounted but unseated tire then pas a torch over the gap. the resulting expolsion seats the tire.

FOG
LoL :D Thats great! Aside from compressors and combustibles are the tire changing tool kits a must? Because I must start changing my own tires. I now need to procure the best tools for the job.

YOU GUYS ROCK! 8)

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just changed mine for the first time and it went pretty well. There are lots of helpful articles on the web. There is a little learning curve the first time through, so it took me longer to work through and master the best techniques, but now I'm good for life. Should be a piece of cake next time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just got done with my front tire. Basically I did the leg work for the dealer taking the wheel off the bike....only thing the dealer did was remove the old tire from the rim, mount and balance the new tire. Cost me a total of 30 minutes at the dealer, $31.49 including a tub of grease, and 1 hour work on the bike. I am glad I did not take the bike in because their quoted labor rate was $85.00 an hour. I was also able to inspect, clean and lube the front end while I was doing the install.

One glitch was finding the 12 mm hex/allen wrench. Sears had a craftsman for $9.00, none of the other stores carried it, max size everyone else carried was 10mm.

I would recommend to everyone to do your own work if you feel comfortable. Just make sure to have someone knowledgeable, the manual, or both. Also make sure to have a torque wrench......sure would suck to have the front wheel come off when you are on the highway.

G

·
Harbor freight has the manual tire changer for about $50.You need the the motorcycle attachment which costs $60.So for around $110 plus shipping your set.I got it and changed my own tires.I also made my own balancer which works great.The only hard part is when you have to push the second edge of the tire over the rim.If you have help squeezing the opposite side together and keeping it the groove it goes easy.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So what do you guys do about balancing? Just match the white dots on the tire to the schrader valve on the rim? My new rear tire has a white dot and then a yellow dot across from it. Not sure what that means? I saw a youtube video of a guy changing his tire and then balancing. Let me see if I can find it again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XArpY_hSdk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUfYs30x5eU

Does that look about right?

Again though...what do those dots mean? I'm not sure what to do since I have a yellow and white across from one another.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
the way that the guy does it in the vid is how i change my tires.....for balancing i use dyna beads...the tires i get only have one dot (a yellow)

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have an 87 ex 500 and the rear and front tire both need changing, i looked at the manual to see how to remove the rims and it listed numerous things to do for the rear, although the front seems pretty easy....a lot of you said that you did it yourselfs and it was easy so im asking is it harder than it seems?? or am i just looking to much into it? any tricks?? thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts