Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help guys. Next week I should change those rubbers from airbox to carbs, and I wanted to know how to remove airbox out (or do I need to remove it)? When I was fixing my old rubbers I tried to get it out but I couldn't find where is bolted on the rear or below to the frame or something. Do you have any picture so you can mark me the bolts or mounting place in the frame?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
The rubbers can be changed with out removing the air box. Disconnect the carb side first, the air box can be pushed back a little to do this. Then remove rubbers from the air box. Install the new ones in the reverse order. It is a pretty tight fit, but it can be done this way.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rubbers can be changed with out removing the air box. Disconnect the carb side first, the air box can be pushed back a little to do this. Then remove rubbers from the air box. Install the new ones in the reverse order. It is a pretty tight fit, but it can be done this way.

Yeah I messed it with this before and its tight fit yeah. But I don't want to remove carbs, I would rather remove airbox. But as I understand I can do it with just moving the airbox a little bit backwards?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Removing the airbox is not difficult, I'd recommend pulling it. This will give you the chance to clean it out, the inside can get a bit dirty over time.

To remove it, you must first remove the seat, side fairings and fuel tank, the last of which can be removed with the upper fairing still in place, but you must remove the screw on either side of the fairing which attaches it to the tank. Once those are out, the fairing is flexible enough to allow removal of the tank.

Next, there is a bracket above the airbox, held in place by 4 m6 bolts with 10mm heads and is what the back end of the fuel tank bolts to, which must be removed.
Next, remove the side covers from the airbox. It will be 4 phillips head screws per side.
Now the airbox can be lifted out vertically. Be aware of the rubber intake hose on the right side (it will be visible once the side cover is off), it likes to get in the way, you may want to pop it out to ease removal.

A note on reinstalling the airbox. The rubber boots which you are replacing have springs which help hold them onto the carburetors. Roll these springs back off the groove they sit in back to the narrowest point on the boots in the middle. This makes it much easier to get them to slip onto the carburetors. Once everything is set in place, roll the springs back into their groves on the boot around the carbs. If you've got long fingers like me, this can be done without tools. If not, a flathead screwdriver will be helpful.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the airbox is not difficult, I'd recommend pulling it. This will give you the chance to clean it out, the inside can get a bit dirty over time.

To remove it, you must first remove the seat, side fairings and fuel tank, the last of which can be removed with the upper fairing still in place, but you must remove the screw on either side of the fairing which attaches it to the tank. Once those are out, the fairing is flexible enough to allow removal of the tank.

Next, there is a bracket above the airbox, held in place by 4 m6 bolts with 10mm heads and is what the back end of the fuel tank bolts to, which must be removed.
Next, remove the side covers from the airbox. It will be 4 phillips head screws per side.
Now the airbox can be lifted out vertically. Be aware of the rubber intake hose on the right side (it will be visible once the side cover is off), it likes to get in the way, you may want to pop it out to ease removal.

A note on reinstalling the airbox. The rubber boots which you are replacing have springs which help hold them onto the carburetors. Roll these springs back off the groove they sit in back to the narrowest point on the boots in the middle. This makes it much easier to get them to slip onto the carburetors. Once everything is set in place, roll the springs back into their groves on the boot around the carbs. If you've got long fingers like me, this can be done without tools. If not, a flathead screwdriver will be helpful.

Thanks. The only thing that , I think, didnt do is the " Next, remove the side covers from the airbox. It will be 4 phillips head screws per side." but im not sure. I know that I done all the previous steps and couln't pull airbox out.
Yeah I know about the springs, not too difficult to put them on :)

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
The air box is a little tricky, not a lot of wiggle room. It was easier for me to get the air box out, after removing the carbs. @Saabnut the "springs" hold the boots to the air box, there are clamps to hold the boots to the carbs.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
@bpe, you are thinking of the carb to cylinder head boots. The airbox to carb boots do not have clamps. The long, skinny springs keep the boots seated on the carbs, while at the airbox end, the boots are U shaped in profile and sit on their on in the front of the airbox. Between the carbs to cylinder head, there is a clamp at both ends.
And, I fully disagree that the airbox is easier to get out after removing the carbs. You lift up the back end of the airbox first, and once that end is up a bit, the whole box comes out. Once out, the carbs are much easier to work with.
I will take photos of both styles of boots to show what I mean and to make sure we're all talking about the same boots.

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
^ My mistake on the boots. But when I removed my air box it was a pretty tight fit. Is the gen1 the same as a gen2 as far as clearances removing the air box?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@bpe, you are thinking of the carb to cylinder head boots. The airbox to carb boots do not have clamps. The long, skinny springs keep the boots seated on the carbs, while at the airbox end, the boots are U shaped in profile and sit on their on in the front of the airbox. Between the carbs to cylinder head, there is a clamp at both ends.
And, I fully disagree that the airbox is easier to get out after removing the carbs. You lift up the back end of the airbox first, and once that end is up a bit, the whole box comes out. Once out, the carbs are much easier to work with.
I will take photos of both styles of boots to show what I mean and to make sure we're all talking about the same boots.

When my old rubbers fell off before few years, I remember that my friend pull the airbox out without removing carb. I dont want to touch the carbs. Just want to pull the airbox out or move it a bit, but last time I missed some screws I guess and couldn't pull it out

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Update: I checked with ron ayers, and the air box changed from 02 to 03. They would be interchangeable, but different. I think , but harder for me to confirm, that the GPZ's are also different.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The airbox is, practically speaking, identical between all years. The amount of room to work with is the same between generations as the frame did not change. The GPZ will be slightly different as the European models did not come with the PAIR system to my knowledge. This is a minor difference, don't worry about it. There is also an extra hole in the front of the airbox on 50 state models equipped with California evaporative emissions. Again, this is only a minor difference and won't affect anyone overseas.

Oh yeah, the battery has to come out too when pulling the airbox.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I stand corrected then. I know some European models did not, but I suppose some did get them. Regardless, it doesn't really provide an issue when removing the airbox. Just make sure the big hose at the top front of the airbox slides back into place when reinstalling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey guys, quick question. I scrolled through this post and don’t think these specific questions were covered.

1) one of the air box boots is missing the spring. Will this effect the performance? Where could I order one/ what would I call this part?

2) after removing the carb I can’t seem to remember what goes into this little hole under the carbs. (See attached photo)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,485 Posts
huh? Yes!

I can't enlarge your photo either but the (upside down shaped J) crankcase breather hose @bpe has pictured in post # 16 mounts from little hole on the crankcase you reference, up to the lower front of airbox.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts