Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, if I missed an existing thread I apologize, I did look, honestly.

I am wondering if there is any DIY on changing the dogbones. I have the FOG 1st gen dogbones and I know I have to re-use some stuff and I am wondering what all I should do, what grease or lube I should apply, whatever. I am used to working on cars and have very little clue with bikes.

I changed my sprockets at one point but have been getting a buzzing since so I am unsure what that is, so I am figuring I would actually ask this time. I am sure I could figure it out, but I am wondering if I just make it up as I go along if I would be missing something important.

Thanks for any help or links.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm not personally familiar with FOG's links, but I did the same thing with my own links. If the new link is narrower than the OEM, which I would think it is, you'll need a spacer at the top end. I used some nylon spacers, available from most hardware stores. I didn't change anything on the bottom end of the dog bone, just off with the old and on with the new (I did replace the bushings in the rocker arm, but that's only necessary if they're worn). I's a pretty basic conversion, if you have some mechanical aptitude it should be no problem for you. You may be able to learn something more specific from someone who knows Fog's links, or the man himself.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
kickshift said:
First, if I missed an existing thread I apologize, I did look, honestly.

I am wondering if there is any DIY on changing the dogbones. I have the FOG 1st gen dogbones and I know I have to re-use some stuff and I am wondering what all I should do, what grease or lube I should apply, whatever. I am used to working on cars and have very little clue with bikes.

I changed my sprockets at one point but have been getting a buzzing since so I am unsure what that is, so I am figuring I would actually ask this time. I am sure I could figure it out, but I am wondering if I just make it up as I go along if I would be missing something important.

Thanks for any help or links.
I tucked a set of instruction in the package. It's simple . Remove the old ones and push out the pins/bushings in the big end and the O rings (2) clean and regrease the pins and the bores of the links then slip in the pins and fit the O rings on each side . then hang them in the frame and tighten the bolts. Now lift the tail of the bike till the lower link hole lins up and insert the bolt . hold the other side link in position and tap it through. Tighten the nut and your done.

FOG

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just did a set of these in about 20 minutes. It's really simple. The one question I have is always what grease to use. I've got some Lithium (white), some engine bolt (high-temp brown), and good ole' general-purpose black grease. Any suggestions as to which would be best?

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Pretty much take your pick. I would use the stuff that has the highest stickiness or stick togetherness. Chassis lube.

FOG

·
Registered
241 Posts
i just installed the fogbones in my bike this weekend... wow, i didn't think that 1.5 inch made such a big difference when sitting on it... i can fully extend my leg now when at a stop light... thats awsome!

however, i think the instructions should include a list of tools needed... if it wasn't for another forum member helping me out, it would have been much much much more diffcult.

i think the main thing is need to mention the need to use 2 17mm wrenches... well, not so much as NEED... but recommended to make the job easier.

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
Pittsburgh Ninja said:
will the bike raise at all by adjusting the spring under the seat with the stock dogbones? *of course not a substantial amount* but will it at all.
Yes a bit by reducing the sag, That may be the bad part. The dogbone change, preserves the sag settings and the spring rate.

FOG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Can someone explain how this Dogbone works? I have read a lot of threads on lowering the bike. But, I am interested in raising my bike as the previous owner had lowered the bike. It seems he lowered it about 1". Is it possible to raise it 1" above the stock height?

Thanks,

·
Registered
19,368 Posts
It's simple. The Dog Bones are a suspension link that locates the lower shock mounting point. Shorter one raise this point , thus raising the rear. Longer ones lower it resulting in...... well figure it out.

FOG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks Fog, for such a quick response. So, if I am following you right the shorter Dogbones actually raise the bike. Thats very interesting. See, being new to mods and all, I would have thought it would've lowered the bike in stead. So, than when people lower or raise their bike they generally only modify the rear with Dogbones? I am going to look and see what the stock dimensions are than will PM you FOG, for your products.

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts