Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was helping a fellow member with the integrator install and went out to check my bike to see if something was a common problem. Long story short, pretty much nothing works right now.

As it sits, the front is off the bike (fairing, headlight, turn signals, gauge assembly) and the rest of the bike is intact. It runs fine. I was checking to see if the hazards worked with the integrator and how and after playing with things a bit I've got no hazards (if the rears even blink - do the fronts blink only?), the turn signals don't do anything (shouldn't they just blink fast with the fronts removed? or is it a circuit that requires everything hooked up?), and the brakes (front and rear) don't seem to do anything (although it could possibly just be stuck on, I was standing in the garage in my underwear and didn't get into any adjustments ;) :p ).

Is there any reason anything in the gauge assembly should be controlling any of this? Or is there a wiring loop in the front harness that needs to be in place? Several people have swapped headlights as of late and nothing has been mentioned, so I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
On hazards, all 4 corners blink.

I am not sure for the rest.. as I am unfamiliar with the integrator kit you are speaking of..

Get the front electricals hooked up and check again, get us all the details of the situation, maybe we will find something at that point, maybe everything will be working fine ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that my end goal was to put a different speedo and tach (I keep eying a pair off one of my parts bikes, the old 80s style standard bike setup), so nothing that's off was going to go back on.

The integrator is the trailer wiring adapter in the rear that lets the taillight be my turn signals. I know it's not the problem because it worked before, it's been on there a while.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I think it might be easier to find the problem if you work your way back to the point that everything was OK. No need to make that a permanent change. My suggestion was for troubleshooting purposes ;)

Is it possible that some wires are touching each other ? Did you check the fuse ? ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to try and do a little troubleshooting tonight, just trying to get ahead of the game before I jump in.

Fuses first. Note to self, keep it simple, stupid :p.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
i have no problems so far with the electrical stuff off in the front.

my brake lights both work fine, the hazards work, and the turn signals work too in the rear, but they flash fast since i have nothing hooked up.

after i removed all the crap from the front, and unhooked all the wires, the first thing i did was check to see if the bike would start. i was thinking it would really suck if there was some kind of circuit in there that needed to be complete for it to run. it started up fine. checked my brakes and stuff, same thing. they work great.

maybe you have a short somewhere, or like frog said, the fuse possibly...

and hey, if you swap out your gauges, do you wanna sell me your gauge wiring harness? ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dragknee said:
i have no problems so far with the electrical stuff off in the front.

my brake lights both work fine, the hazards work, and the turn signals work too in the rear, but they flash fast since i have nothing hooked up.

after i removed all the crap from the front, and unhooked all the wires, the first thing i did was check to see if the bike would start. i was thinking it would really suck if there was some kind of circuit in there that needed to be complete for it to run. it started up fine. checked my brakes and stuff, same thing. they work great.

maybe you have a short somewhere, or like frog said, the fuse possibly...

and hey, if you swap out your gauges, do you wanna sell me your gauge wiring harness? ;)
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I knew she would run and whatnot - I took her around the block completely naked the other day and it ran great - but the rear lighting situation didn't arise (as in I didn't even look) until last night. I guess the first thing I'll do is check fuses, then grounds, then see if a wire got pinched somewhere, check the brake adjustment, and from there I'll have to wing it.

I saw you were looking for the harness but at this point I'm trying to keep everything I need to get back to stock in case I sell it (the bike) to someone who's got to have all that stuff. I've had a few people trying to buy it, but as of right now it's not for sale. Who knows what will happen next week ;) ?

When I did the rear integrator I just used spade connectors to piece everything together. Had you looked to see if you could just use male and female connectors to wire into the factory harness and then just weather-proof it a bit?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's where I stand. I checked a few things and then got back into that integrator. I was getting 12v to everything that was supposed to have it, but nothing was getting to the lights. Stupidly, I just assumed that it had to be the wiring adapter that was the problem. I went and grabbed another one (I figured that it was cheap enough it didn't matter, and if it wasn't the problem I could use another one anyway). New adapter in hand I spent an hour poking around the bike and installing it, just to get the exact same results.

At this point I think to myself, "Okay, stupid, you didn't do the simple stuff first so that's what you deserve." I check the fuses and nothing is blown, but I did find out that 2 of the 10A fuses had been replaced, 1 with a 15A and one with a 25A. Those replaced I moved on to other possibilities. I grabbed the fairing stay out of the corner, quick mounted it, and hooked up the dash/gauge assembly. The hazards didn't work (due to load, I believe, since I only had 2 LEDs on the circuit - it just clicked a lot and didn't blink), but the brake and turn lamps work fine.

So how is dragknee not having problems and not using the guages, and I'm screwed? I'm puzzled to say the least.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nick D said:
dragknee said:
I saw you were looking for the harness but at this point I'm trying to keep everything I need to get back to stock in case I sell it (the bike) to someone who's got to have all that stuff. I've had a few people trying to buy it, but as of right now it's not for sale. Who knows what will happen next week ;) ?

When I did the rear integrator I just used spade connectors to piece everything together. Had you looked to see if you could just use male and female connectors to wire into the factory harness and then just weather-proof it a bit?
I looked at the harness earlier, I can see why you want a spare - those are small spades to say the least. I wonder if Radio Shack would have something compatible.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
If I get this correctly, only the headlight is the problem now ? If the hazards are clicking, they should be fine, they just go way too fast because the LEDs are sucking wayyy less power than the regular bulbs.

Did you check with the engine running ? AFAIK the only way to get that headlight on is to have the engine running ;)

Do you have that multimeter (voltmeter) yet ? It may only be that the bulbs are burnt..

25A through the wires would make their shield melt off.. But check with the meter before changing anything.

Do start with the simple stuff first

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I walked outside to look at something and started checking a few other things. I came to the realization that the gauge wiring is a circuit - in and out. It has to be so that the turn signal lights blink. Without both harness plugs hooked up the idiot lights don't all light up, the back lighting doesn't light, and I get no turn signals, no hazards, and no brake lights. It's all or nothing, which could mean I need to run jumpers and put my replacement idiot lights inline.

Perhaps I should find a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
So is everything back in order now that's connected ?

I was about to run down to my parent's garage to check out if I still had all lights working well without the gauges..

Its 5 min away ;)

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frog said:
If I get this correctly, only the headlight is the problem now ? If the hazards are clicking, they should be fine, they just go way too fast because the LEDs are sucking wayyy less power than the regular bulbs.

Did you check with the engine running ? AFAIK the only way to get that headlight on is to have the engine running ;)

Do you have that multimeter (voltmeter) yet ? It may only be that the bulbs are burnt..

25A through the wires would make their shield melt off.. But check with the meter before changing anything.

Do start with the simple stuff first
I'll respond to the last thing first - bite me. :p J/K! I know I should've tried that first. I'd be ticked if I'd have had other things to do but it didn't really mess up my evening a great deal :).

The headlight isn't part of my problem (yet). As far as I can tell everything is working like it is supposed to, it's just that I have to have the gauges in place for it to do anything. Since my end goal is to use different gauges and idiot lights this is what is causing the problem. Now I need to figure out how to use what I have now without the factory gauge assembly.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Frog said:
So is everything back in order now that's connected ?

I was about to run down to my parent's garage to check out if I still had all lights working well without the gauges..

Its 5 min away ;)
Yep, with the gauges in it works. With them unplugged I have no turn signals, no brake lights, and no hazards. Dragknee's bike working fine with no gauges is what has me all screwed up.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Allright, Stick around for another 30 mins, help is on the way :D

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had to post that quick in an effort to keep you from going to any trouble (hope it was quick enough). I'm up late enough now that the wife is going to get aggravated if I stay up much longer. Whenever you get time to look at it I'd much appreciate it, but it doesn't have to be tonight. I've got plenty to do before I'm road worthy so I'm not in a huge hurry for any one problem that I've got :p.

Thanks a lot for the help, though.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
You got me in time :)

I'm still going down there though, I have to find out for myself too or else I won't sleep.. and I can't go to bed at this time since I'm working night shift tomorrow...

The girl's in her bed (new job tomorrow morning) and there's nothing fun on TV :p

Besides, I'm at work most of the time I spend here so I cannot check and I'm a tech, fixing things is in my nature ;)

So it sounds like you just gave me a good excuse to spend some quality time with the bike, experimenting stuff ;D

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Frog said:
You got me in time :)

I'm still going down there though, I have to find out for myself too or else I won't sleep..

I can't go to bed at this time since I'm working night shift tomorrow...

And the girl's in her bed (new job tomorrow morning) and there's nothing fun on TV :p

Besides, I'm at work most of the time I spend here so I cannot check and I'm a tech, fixing things is in my nature ;)
Awesome.

I appreciate it.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
the gauge wiring is more like a piggyback onto a circuit than a circuit itself. the circuit closes after the gauge harness, in the bike. the gauges just kind of piggyback onto that, then a harness splits off for the turn signals.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts