Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a few things so I can change my own tires, anything that I may be missing? or if you think there is a better option than what I have listed please let me know.

Motion Pro BeadPro Forged Steel Tire Bead Breaker
Motion Pro Valve Core Tool
Motion Pro RimShield II and/or Motion Pro Rim Protectors

Also has anyone used a Marc Parnes balancer? I had heard that they were a bit more accurate then some of the ones you can get from the mass produced places.

·
Registered
234 Posts
missing a tire lubricant to ease R & R, a balance weight set and a couple spare tire valves
Never forget the lube. :grin2:

Balance beads are a neat way to go to avoid balance weights and balance equipment.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have same same tools and was able to do mine. The only thing I'd add is a tire inflator on an air compressor so you can blast it with a lot of air really fast for seating the bead.
A ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire pulls the sidewalls really close to the rim and lets a regular compressor seal the tire easily.

·
Registered
19,158 Posts
word of caution (why am I always say that, I sound like my mother ) if you working on the ground it real easy to bend a brake disc. be sure you have a prop of some kind to keep the disc off the ground.

FOG

·
Registered
234 Posts
Get a NoMar!!! >:)
For the win!! Seriously nice kit.

I'm a bit cheaper, so I have a modified HF tire changer. Cheap and efficient....100 times easier than a bucket and tire irons, and much less likely to accidentally damage pristine rims.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
I find spending $25 per tired for the install ain't so bad at the local shop. Beats the headache for me.
$25 a bargain price from the 80's-90's :)

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
I have a No-Mar now. I'm done with the old 5 gal pail and lever routine. I can still do that if needed but not while I have a No Mar.

1. Use a 5 gal pail to keep the disc from getting damaged (refer back to FOG's warning).
2. Get good levers, as they make the job much easier. Make sure one is fairly long.
3. Don't scrimp on lube. Use a good one, that is PH neutral. DIsh soap is alkali and will rot your rims from the inside out.
4. Yes, the Mark Parnes stuff is good equipment. Get yourself a balancer first though. He sells an upgrade kit for the Harbor Freight balancer. Get both and you'll have no issues.
5. Skip the tire beads. They're more of a mess than they're worth. Ask me how I know.
6. If you need weights, go to your local Cycle Gear and have them order the ones you want from their K&L Supply catalog.
7. Heat is your friend, along with proper lube. A warmed up tire is much easier to manipulate over a rim.
8. Make SURE the tire is oriented correctly. Treads are meant to rotate in one direction indicated by an arrow on the sidewall. Make sure the rotation is correct for the orientation of the wheel.
9. Brush up on your vocabulary of curse words. You'll need more than your current vocabulary contains.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts