Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went out riding ;D it was a blast but then the sputtering and the slowing down then it just died and I got to push the bike back 3 blocks :mad: up hill. But the battery died its not charging. how do I go about fixing this any diagrams or schematics would be a big help thanks.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well after I got the bike home I put the battery on the charger and after about 15 min it said it was charged It started right up and idled ok, I put on the gear and left the drive way to see how it ran I got around the corner and then it died again. It would turn over slowly and attempt to fire but nothing so I pushed it back to the garage and checked the bat it was good I let it stay on for a few min and started the bike right up and it idled fine with the high beam and brake light on it never died seems like it will only die after I'm loading it. any thoughts? I've only got to ride it 14 miles this year and it makes me mad seeing that its my only transportation right now so I need to fix it quick.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Old gas?
Condensed water is denser than gas so sinks beneath the gas in the tank.
When it moves to the carb... sputter sputter.

If that's what it could be, go get a can of fresh gas. Drain out the old gas... from the lines to the carbs... and the carbs... and the tank. Put in new gas.

Can an intermittent open or short in the kickstand wiring cause anything like this?
It runs next to an exhaust pipe & could've taken a hit, pinch, or melting.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Somthings amiss in the charging circut. Get a Volt Meter and connect it to the battery with the engine off it should read 12.00 volts.

with the engine running 13.8 or more.

If not un plug the out put wire from the Alternator It comes out of the top rear of the left side (Daynamo side) cover, There are two plugs , one is the ignition pickup the other is the alternator output. Set your VOM to AC 100 volt or more scale. Start the engine. Hold 4000 RPM and check the alternator output at about 70 volts AC.

If thats good then your regulator is Kaput.

FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the imput, oddly enough I just filled the tank this morning.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quick question what is supposed to be the resistance of a good coil? today I took it out around the neighborhood and I was going along about 3k and the tack started jumping around a bit so i let off the throttle and let off the clutch and it smoothed out and I keep on going, leaving a stop I got on the throttle and it died this time I squeezed the clutch and hit the start switch and it fired but I took it home. could this be a fuel problem or a bad coil firing only part of the time?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I still say you need to check the charging system and your Battery is probably no good. Many time batteries will fail under load that otherwise seem OK.

FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery is brand new I checked it while running and the needle barely moved on the meter around 12 volts I'll do the other checks tomorrow its to late to be running the motor up tonight.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
hollywood said:
what is that thing that charges the battery
It's called the Current Rectifier Bridge / Voltage Regulator.  It is usually an all in one module and shortened to R/R.  The former converts the current the generator produces from AC to DC, and the latter does exactly as it's named; It regulates the voltage the Alternator sends.  if the R/R is not properly operating, it will cause the battery to fail prematurely.

If this is a pre 94, are you experiencing abnormal engine vibrations?  the 1st generation magnets were susceptible to failure (READ: Disintegrate) and would cause an under powered circuit on the bike, and would cause the battery to discharge to keep the bike running.

Otherwise it's a bad R/R, or a bad battery (internal damage perhaps?).  could be either of these two in most cases.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fog, or anyone whitch wires am I back probing on the alternator output? I probed the regulator and it never rose above 12 volts.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
There are two plugs comming out of the alternator cover tucked up under the frame one of the is the ac alternator plug I can't remember wich . but if you un plug one and the engines stops ...it's the other one.

FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok yeah I figured it all out and I did some tests. First off all I have is an analog meter and I set it to the ac 50 scale next jump up is 250 but I started the bike probed the connector at Idle it shows about 50 volts give it throttle and it pegs the meter to the right past 100 volts. Then I switched to dc 50 scale and checked the wires at the regulator and it never went a hair above 12v so I'm leading to believe that the regulator is the problem.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
The regulator usually deliver 13.8 volts. Your sounds a little fluffy.

FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you think replacing it would solve the problem?

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
That's just about the only option.

FOG

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its odd how some of the wires comming from the regulator only put out 5 volts well actually all but the brown one that had 12.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts