Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the cheapest way to get lockable hard luggage. 1 plastic rubbermaid + 2 u-bolts + 2 padlocks. Installation/removal takes about a minute. Ive removed it for now but may put it on next long trip. It may not look good but it works.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Did you attach the u-bolts through the rear handle ?

Mind if I do it too ? I like the concept :) and the fact it's cheap ;D

·
Registered
97 Posts
How did you attach the rubbermaid to the bike? Did you cut a hole through the bottom for the grab handle and lock it from the inside?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I think it's 2 u-bolts, search google images ;)

2 little holes at the bottom of the rubbermade, put the bolts inside the locked box so the only part sticking out is the U.
Get that around the grab handle, yer done :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Taken from the Ninja 250 Riders Club Website, of which I am also a member:

Givi? What Givi? We don't need no stinkin' Givi.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a75/HikerBiker/NinjaTrunk/

Payne inspired me to create a lockable, waterproof trunk for occasional runs to the grocery store and for storing helmet and cycling gear when hiking, picnicing, etc. The link above is to the photo album that shows the thing on and off the bike, complete with closeups of the hardware. Pretty simple. Cost a total of about $25.

It's a 56 liter Rubbermaid clone attached to the passenger seat with bungees mounted inside the trunk and with U-bolts holding onto the grab bar for extra security. I've wrapped the U-bolts with electrical tape and put cloth patches on the trunk where it contacts the grab bar to keep either the U-bolts or trunk from scratching the grab bar.

This takes 2 minutes to put on or take off the bike. Attach the U-bolts, hook up the bungees, and away we go. It's got combination luggage locks that keep casual meth-heads out. A determined thief wouldn't have any problem just cutting into the side of the thing with a big knife.

I made a test run to a distant grocery store, and got caught in a downpour on the interstate. The trunk stayed very secure, and the paper grocery bags were completely dry. This thing doesn't have gaskets, so in case of prolonged downpour, things might get a bit damp.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but when you've got a small amount of weight, say 5-20lbs back there... how much does that change the bike's handling. Cause they say to put all the weight over the front tires right? Maybe I'm mistaken.

I ask because I really like the idea. I have to wear a backpack with my work clothes in it every day, and this seems like a better solution. Well... at least a solution I can try out and then throw out and only lose about $30.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It's like riding with a 5-20 pounds passenger ;)

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You look like the delivery boy in Bangledash

FOG

·
Registered
47 Posts
And that Bangladeshi delivery boy does it that way because it's cheap and it works :)

I like it. My most recent trunk was a cardboard box taped shut, bungeed to my backseat. I'll have to give something like this a shot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts